485 series passing through Minami Senju on Joban Line

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Charter train from Ibaraki, trainset based at Katsuta Rolling Stock Depot

*the 485 K60 trainset (the second 6 unit trainset) is a 485 1500 series which originally ran on "Ishikari" limited express services up here in Hokkaido on the Hakodate Main Line between Sapporo and Asahikawa.  I like the twin beam upper headlights and the original chevron on the nose.

• Like 1

*the 485 K60 trainset (the second 6 unit trainset) is a 485 1500 series which originally ran on "Ishikari" limited express services up here in Hokkaido on the Hakodate Main Line between Sapporo and Asahikawa.  I like the twin beam upper headlights and the original chevron on the nose.

How did JR East come to own it?

bikkuri bahn

It stretches back to JNR days- the 485 series had troubles operating in the winter climate of Hokkaido, so it was replaced by a made-for-Hokkaido design in the form of the 781 series (ironically now retired).  The 485 series trainsets were transferred to Tohoku.  Apparently before being assigned to Katsuta, this particular trainset operated out of Niigata.

bikkuri bahn

Yep, charter train.  Fans follow their favorite trainsets by consulting issues of the magazine "Tetsudou Daiya Jouhou", which gives advance info of special and charter runs.  There may be internet sources also.

I think it had something to do with a card game and a bottle of sake ... that's how I usually lose stuff !!!

• Like 1

I've always associated that emblem with Kawasaki Railcar, but I don't think that's actually the case.  Bikkuri will know.  :wave:

bikkuri bahn

The chevron I'm referring to is the JNR limited express symbol.  For some reason JR East removed most (all?) of these on their 183/189 units, as well as the front 6 car unit in this video.