Snake on seat halts Tokaido bullet train

OSAKA — A train on the Tokaido Shinkansen Line was halted at Maibara Station on Monday to capture a 1-meter snake found lounging on a passenger seat. more in article

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110705a7.html

OK ill go ahead and say it...

SNAKES ON A BULLET TRAIN!!! New movie coming to your theatre near you this summer! but leave it to hollywood it was already done... sort of...

cheers

jeff

• Like 2

I could only think of this image when seeing that trailer...

orange-will-not-peel.gif

Also: "JR group companies ask passengers not to bring animals other than small birds and fish in containers into train cars." Who the hell takes a bird or fish on the train? Whenever I do, it's either in a lunch pack or already being digested. You don't put a toriyaki or chirashizushi in a cage, silly JR group.

• Like 2

Who the hell takes a bird or fish on the train?

i could easily see this if you are not a car owner and rely on public transportation you might go somewhere to buy your pet that involves a train, especially in japan. fish will last quite a while in super oxygenated water in a plastic bag!

jeff

True true, bu still... Seems a bit strange... But then again, we're talking Japan here. Expect the unexpected.

Martijn Meerts

I carried fish quite regularly on the train or bus when I still lived in Oslo. I lived a ways away from the city center, where the pet store was. So every time I bought new fish I took them on train/bus... Not such a strange thing really.

I've also seen some common and not-so-common pets being carried on the trains in the Netherlands.. Cats, dogs, rabbits, hamsters, ferrets, parakeets, parrots.. No snakes yet though.. Or at least, not that I know of =)

i agree, this is not something japan centric at all. i saw all sorts of stuff brought on the bus when i lived in DC proper years ago and did not have a car. i myself brought a lot of odd stuff on the bus! i would have had fish on the bus if i had a fish tank at that time and not thought anything of it!

jeff

It appears that the snake was occupying its own seat.  If it had a valid ticket I don't see the problem.  In fact, it's hardly news at all.  There are lawyers, real estate agents and used car salesmen riding the Sydney system everyday!!!

:grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

It appears that the snake was occupying its own seat.  If it had a valid ticket I don't see the problem.  In fact, it's hardly news at all.  There are lawyers, real estate agents and used car salesmen riding the Sydney system everyday!!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Lol funny you say that I just got of the epping service and there was a realestate guy with 3 for sale signs carting around with him hahah.  :laugh:

Cheers

The_Ghan

The article doesn't say if it was a Nozomi so it mightn't have paid the extra fare, in 1998 we saw a woman on a Shinkansen with a cat in a box, nobody would have known except it kept meowing.

A couple of days ago I heard on the train control radio here in Brisbane a guard explaining he had just ejected a woman with a snake from his train. Our rules say no animals except accredited seeing eye dogs and the like.

That reminds me. I once saw someone in Germany with an iguana on the train and in the Netherlands, one shouldn't be surprised to see young and hip people with tamed rats on their shoulders.

does that mean i can't take juliar gillard on the train :(

Since when does an Australian Pollie uses PT to get to work? The only time they do is to be filmed acting as they listening to the PT users their issues, but truely they just want to jump off at the next station and get their car to take them back.

does that mean i can't take juliar gillard on the train :(

Only if you put a muzzle on her. :grin

As another famous Aussie once said, That's not a snake..... If we saw that on a seat here we'd just brush it off and sit down. :grin