711 series throwback livery

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

@Shiraoi station, Muroran Main Line

JR Hokkaido has repainted a 711 series trainset in its original colors, in a collaboration with a summer tourist promotion campaign.  This livery debuted in 1969, when these units began operating on the newly electrified Hakodate Main Line to Asahikawa.

• Like 4

Very nice.  There's some interesting general info on wikipedia, of course.  I don't think I've ever seen the interior of one of these.  I was thinking that they are basically cold-weatherized 169s with AC electrics, but it looks like there could be some other differences.  The seating is cross boxes and long seats?  Like a KIHA40?  I was thinking it was express-like, all cross seats that flip back and forth.  The trucks are definitely different as well.

bikkuri bahn

The 711 type was a completely new design for Hokkaido conditions, and shared perhaps only general body shape with earlier express stock.  It was AC only, with thyristor control.  The seating is box seats with some long seats on the ends, which matches the original purpose of these units, which included express services.  I reckon the bogies are winterproof, note the rubber covered springs.