Help Identifying Train

domino

Hey Guys

I have been contacted by a fellow model railroader here in Denmark, he has a japanese Steam loco that he can`t Identify , so i contacted me for help,but im not that sharp in steam loco, so i need your help , there is no number or box, but on the bottom is says Kato 206 ???

What train is this ?

Thanks

brian

post-164-13569928297855_thumb.jpg

angusmclean

Looks like Kato's old standard D51 (the 'new' D51 which matches the same profile is the special D51-498 which models a very specific engine restored by JR East). The part number should be Kato 2006-1.

http://www.katomodels.com/product/nmi/d51_e.shtml

On the same page is also the long dome/Namekuzi D51, but that is not easily mistaken for the same thing.

The early Kato loco models came out with just the three model numbers (eg 206) to identify them, so this will probably be some thirty years old.

See information at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JNR_Class_D51

cheers

Angus

To me, the description "long dome" is a misnomer since the part being described isn't the dome, but I suppose it's an easy way to distinguish the two types for the layman.

Cheers,

Mark.

bikkuri bahn

To me, the description "long dome" is a misnomer since the part being described isn't the dome, but I suppose it's an easy way to distinguish the two types for the layman.

Cheers,

Mark.

Yes, the "namekuji" arrangement actually housed not only the steam dome, but also the sand dome and feedwater heater mounted lengthwise:

http://tetudoumokei.com/usuitouge/d51_b.html

Somewhat akin to a modest skyline casing...

• Like 1

The D51 is a pretty interesting series.  D51 1 is at Umekoji and D51 51 is just up the line, on static display in front of Saga Arashiyama station.  There were a lot of them built over 15 years, with variants and revisions.  Then there were those that were "repurposed" into other configurations like JRE's magnificent C61 20.  There were some in Sakhalin at the end of the war.  According to wikipedia, one is still functional there, although Sakhalin Railways is finally regauging to Russian gauge.  I wonder if it will be brought back to Japan.

• Like 1
Yes, the "namekuji" arrangement actually housed not only the steam dome, but also the sand dome and feedwater heater mounted lengthwise:

I bet the fitters weren't too impressed by having to root around with all that tinware just to get at the FWH...  I know I wouldn't be. :cheesy

Cheers,

Mark.

The D51 is a pretty interesting series.

Absolutely. They're probably my favourite modern Japanese steam loco, and by all accounts a very capable design. I'd love to have a play on one. :grin

There were some in Sakhalin at the end of the war.  According to wikipedia, one is still functional there, although Sakhalin Railways is finally regauging to Russian gauge.  I wonder if it will be brought back to Japan.

Be interesting if it were, although you'd have to wonder what sort of condition it's in, after being in the tender care of the Russians...

Cheers,

Mark.

Don't forget "Hiro" on the Island of Sodor. :grin

LOL! I was a bit ambivalent about the new CGI version of Thomas, until they introduced "Hiro". Now I'm a convert, and so is my youngest son. I can't keep count of how many times he's watched that particular DVD.

Cheers,

Mark.

Ok, general steam question, but I've seen this in in-cab shots of D51s, so I'll ask here: the engineer spins a sort of crank, and moves a long handle that's mounted to the ceiling.  What are those two controls?

The D51 is a pretty interesting series.

Absolutely. They're probably my favourite modern Japanese steam loco, and by all accounts a very capable design. I'd love to have a play on one. :grin

There were some in Sakhalin at the end of the war.  According to wikipedia, one is still functional there, although Sakhalin Railways is finally regauging to Russian gauge.  I wonder if it will be brought back to Japan.

Be interesting if it were, although you'd have to wonder what sort of condition it's in, after being in the tender care of the Russians...

Cheers,

Mark.

Do you know japanese? Pop into Jr East's main office.

perhaps if you ask nice enough :P  :laugh:

• Like 1
Ok, general steam question, but I've seen this in in-cab shots of D51s, so I'll ask here: the engineer spins a sort of crank, and moves a long handle that's mounted to the ceiling.  What are those two controls?

The crank is the reverser, or reversing wheel, it sets the direction of travel, and adjusts the valve travel and hence cut-off. When you are starting a train, you have the reverser wound right back to the "full gear" position to admit steam to the cylinders for the almost the full travel of the piston, but once you get rolling you wind the reverser forward towards "mid-gear", so that steam is only admitted to the cylinder for a part of the piston's travel. Then expansion does the rest. That way you don't flog the engine, or your fireman!  :grin

You'll also see that some locos have a reversing lever rather than a wheel, what the Americans sometimes call the "Johnson bar".

The long handle is the regulator, or throttle. On a D51 it's connected by a rod to the regulator or throttle valve in the steam dome. Opening the regulator lets steam pass from the boiler via the dry pipe to the valve chests, where the valves then admit steam to the cylinders. Depending on the age and design of the engine, the regulator can also be a handle mounted on a quadrant on the firebox backplate, and the regulator valve or valves can be mounted in the smokebox, what is known as a "front-end throttle".

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
Do you know japanese? Pop into Jr East's main office. perhaps if you ask nice enough :P  :laugh:

You'd be surprised how far you can get by just asking nicely. I had a play on one of the engines at Umekoji by doing just that.  :cheesy

Cheers,

Mark.

There's a number of ways you could get steam-qualified. Your best bet is to get involved with one of the tourist/museum operators. I gather you're in Sydney, you could sign-up with Valley Heights, Zig Zag, Thirlmere, Albion Park or the Powerhouse Museum. All of these organisations are looking for volunteer train/operating crews. I've got contacts at all these places if you're keen. Just be prepared for a lot of long hours, and hard, dirty work!

Cheers,

Mark.

haha hard dirty work no problem

:sad: long hours a problem have children heh

i really hope when i am in my 40's and the children will no longer be children and more teenagers that these places all still exist.