Which WaMu?

Nick_Burman

Nick_Burman

Hi all,

I'm interested in purchasing some WaMu 70000 boxcars. Both Tomix and Kawaii make them, the main difference being that the Kawaii model comes in a 2-wagon package. Which of the two is the best model?

Cheers NB

Kawaii makes a whole bundle of WaMu 70000 cars, in various sized sets. I think they all use the old silver wheels, so no advantage over Tomix there. If you want to model a specific area Kawaii may have the set to match, the Tomix are just a generic design. The Tomix have a newer, more detailed mold (even the newer Kawaii all seem to be from the original mold). The Tomix model is designed to accept the 0396 TN knuckle couplers, which makes me think the coupler pocket is a bit different. If you want to couple to American/Kato knuckle couplers you'd probably want the Kawaii which can be upgraded with Kato or other brands of knuckle couplers. Like wise if you want to coupler to Tomix's smaller knuckle coupler you'd want the Tomix unit.

Nick_Burman

Thanks David, I'm looking for plain WaMus for the time being. I think I'll go for both.

Cheers NB

Kawaii makes a whole bundle of WaMu 70000 cars, in various sized sets. I think they all use the old silver wheels, so no advantage over Tomix there. If you want to model a specific area Kawaii may have the set to match, the Tomix are just a generic design. The Tomix have a newer, more detailed mold (even the newer Kawaii all seem to be from the original mold). The Tomix model is designed to accept the 0396 TN knuckle couplers, which makes me think the coupler pocket is a bit different. If you want to couple to American/Kato knuckle couplers you'd probably want the Kawaii which can be upgraded with Kato or other brands of knuckle couplers. Like wise if you want to coupler to Tomix's smaller knuckle coupler you'd want the Tomix unit.

I've been fitting my Kawai  four wheel freight cars with Fox Valley Metal wheels and Micro Trains 2004 couplers.

I prefer Kawai over Tomix, as they are a bit better running, more varied. Next to that, when you buy them, you support a small company that has to fight its way through the big boys. Which is always a good thing IMHO.

Nick_Burman

Actually I was thinking more along cosmetic lines - which of the two brands better represents the prototype wagon? Anywhere wher I can find data about the prototype?

Cheers NB

They are about the same, though Kawaii is better about the actual markings - again a generic car vs. many different ones with depot or other information. The Tomix mold is newer and seems to have more details like rivets (oversized N scale rivets) and better edges (the small pieces are more defined when viewed close up).

Nick_Burman

Thanks all folks. I think eventually I'll get samples of both models.

Cheers NB