Programming Follies with the EUN651 6-Pin DCC Decoder

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

I was able to program a 4 digit address and also a 2 digit address to my EUN651 DCC decoders for the TGV and yet can only communicate to the directional lighting by changing direction and using the Lamp button.

Issue #1- No locomotion

Issue #2- Need to reverse directional lighting of non-powered cab car.

After original installation I was able to move the loco using 03.

Now what?

That one will be hard to troubleshoot because its so small. Getting to those pins would be hard.

There are two factors in moving the unit. The command instruction and circuit activation. The question would be did the decoder received the command and is it applying voltage to the orange and gray leads.

Being that you state the lights are functioning then it is safe to say that the decoder is receiving commands. The question are -

Is it outputting the DC voltage to the motor if so then the motor is not connected.

If it is not outputting the voltage then something is wrong with the decoder or the speed table are altered.

If it worked at 03 address (factory default) it might be worth resetting it back to factory just to get it moving then change the 4 digit addressing one more time. If it stops then you know it is a table issue. 

Inobu

Guest Closed Account 1

Already tried 03 and just 3. Same results. Pretty lights no movement.

Bought 3 decoders for just in cases like this.

I will keep trying tomorrow and even wrap the decoder in capstan to isolate it.

is it possible that the decoder is installed upside down? Used the install pictures and the OEM boards to decide whats up.

EUN651 manual below.

EUN651.pdf

Try resetting CV8 to 2. That places all values back to Factory values. Like starting over. If it works then you know something else changed during the 4 digit addressing change. As for the board being backward it could be. I did see something odd in the TCS drawing.

Look at Digitrax DZ125IN which is their NEM 651 plug. Then TCS pin outs are not the same it is backward in the drawing. The question is what are the pin outs for the board that's on your unit? Pin number 1 is on the top looking at the Kato board where as Pin number 1 is on the bottom on the TCS diagram but the orientation is correct on TCS's the image. 

(Digitrax drawing does not have the pins in order on the drawing but the pins are numbered correctly)

[smg id=1365]

DSCN2382.jpg

Double check the pins and if it is ok do the reset on CV8.

Inobu

Guest Closed Account 1

Yes, it was installed wrong.  Little yellow pads must point to the sky. These are the ones to troubleshoot with a multimeter when necessary.

No success in getting the non-powered cab car to flip-flop the directional lights.

TGV's run great on DCC. No motor noise.

I think you have to make it a consist. This means that it will react to that same command as the motor decoder so it acts as one. Then you need to change the CV the tells the decoder to run backward. This flip flops the lights. 

Inobu

Guest Closed Account 1

This probably what's going on with the E5. Same deal. Will work on these again soon.

Hope this helps at least someone. :)

Guest Closed Account 1

Can anyone clarify the headlamp/taillamp operation on the TGV's when parked? Both cab cars tail lamps on only or normal directional lighting head lamp/tail lamps on? This one looks idle because the engineer is getting his soccer updates. TGV Spécial 30 ans à la gare Lille Flandres

Working with TCS Tech Support to solve the directional lighting programming mystery.

Guest Closed Account 1

Should have posted this sooner.

TCS informed me that One cab car needs a separate address so that you can reverse its CV values for lighting. Then consist the 3 decoders. That solves the directional lighting issue when it arises.

Each lighting CV# is programed with the other CV#'s value.

CaptOblivious

No need to consist the decoders, ditch CV19. Just assign them all the same (regular 2- or 4-digit) address! Then, in the rear-most cab, set CV29 from 6 to 7 to indicate that it should run in reverse (since there is no motor, all that happens is the lights get reversed). Easy-peasy!

Guest Closed Account 1

Interesting logic Captain.

Would these skinny decoders work better for the bullets than the TCS 1006 and like sized. Looks easier to fit inside the chassis.

CaptOblivious

Interesting logic Captain.

Would these skinny decoders work better for the bullets than the TCS 1006 and like sized. Looks easier to fit inside the chassis.

That's actually what I do with all of my EMUs. Lets you use 4-digit addresses, and is far easier to configure. Works just fine for any kind of permanent consist.

Which skinny decoders are you referring to? The EUN651? I don't really know anything about it, but it looks like an M1 with pins instead of wires soldered to it. I don't usually have a problem fitting a TCS M1 inside the chassis of the motorized carriages (you should feel free to remove the shrink-wrap, helps a ton!), or the TCS FL4 inside the cab cars.

Guest Closed Account 1

Wow! Summer came and went. Been busy fixing the wiring on the museum layout. The big dogs from my N club are going to help rewire the whole thing to prep it for DCC. Old Telephone wire is not handling the 3A Digitrax Zephyr and healthy consists or multiple trains.

Ok. Figured out how to get the EUN651 to allow directional lighting for the TGV on the Trailing end cab.

Reset to Factory program.

Both End Cab's stay on same address for simplicity.

Trailing cab only - CV29 needs to be programmed 51. That's everything except the DC value and programming it to react opposite of the other end cab.

Do TGV's or Bullets use dimming for markers on the trailing end cabs (locos) as in the US or leave as is?

EUN651-2.pdf

Guest Closed Account 1

I'm wondering....

Does the Kato K10917, K10916, or 10719-1, 10719-2 series have 6 pin decoder boards?

My Kato K10910 Thalys TGV runs like a dream. I'd like another TGV, the Duplex and Euromed seems to be the most common TGV's in the World.

The kits mention DCC friendly. Really?