Railway TV channel to be launched this July

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Of possible interest to Japan based forum members with cable TV, Sky Perfect TV will offer an all-railway TV channel (Tetsudo Channeru) starting this July.  Aimed at the approximately 1 million railway enthusiasts as well as travel-loving middle to older age Japanese, it will offer a variety of programs, including those on rail travel, rolling stock reviews, railway "mini" dramas, and railway photography.

sources (Japanese):

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/entertainments/news/110614/ent11061407370003-n1.htm

http://eiga.com/news/20110524/13/

• Like 2

Honestly I'm surprised that there isn't more railway-related programming on regular networks.  There are those damned hospital dramas, and Japan has never done TV police procedurals well as far as I know, why not a story about young crew members stuck living in those hideous JR danchis?  Anyway, good post Bikkuri.

bikkuri bahn
There are those damned hospital dramas

Agreed . But are hospital dramas good anywhere?  I find them universally dreadful.  Hospitals are places you go when you are sick or injured- not exactly the setting for some relaxing escapist TV fare.

Japan has never done TV police procedurals well

Really? I find "Aibo" to be pretty good.  But generally police work in Japan is not very glamorous, as typified by the "omawarisan" image.  Not exactly fodder for Hollywood stuff.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't be so dismissive, I haven't seen Aibo.  The standout police themed production from Japan is of course Suna no Utsuwa, and not just because of its rail content  :grin.

Here's some information on the new channel: http://www.ex-ch.tv/tetsudo/

I would love to see a good subtitled japanese police/detective drama series! we have a sort of world station here in the dc area that use to present english subtitled police dramas from all over the world and it was really fun seeing how the different systems worked and the local flavor. nothing from the far east though except australia (homicide and water rats for you aussies)! there was french, italian, english, Swedish, german, dutch, etc. wonderful!

cheers

jeff

I would love to see a good subtitled japanese police/detective drama series! we have a sort of world station here in the dc area that use to present english subtitled police dramas from all over the world and it was really fun seeing how the different systems worked and the local flavor. nothing from the far east though except australia (homicide and water rats for you aussies)! there was french, italian, english, Swedish, german, dutch, etc. wonderful!

cheers

jeff

Oh there are more Aussie police shows on TV in Australia or have police involvement like Underbelly, but them we did have Blue Healers (Victorian Cop show) Highway Patrol, RBT (Random Breath Testing Unit around Australia, The Force and many others. We use to have many emergency service of medical shows over here but would love to have a railway channel over here that would be world based not just local or just one country section of trains.

I have got the movie The Hunted that shows of a shinkansen been used (filmed in Canada due to the fight scene and the voilence in the filming), which gave me the interest of Japanese Drumming and the love of JR locomotive fleet.

sorry it was murder call, not homicide!

water rats always seems part soap opera.

i wonder if the japanese tv packages here in the states will include the railway channel. my parents neighbor (japanese) in california got the whole satellite package and it had quite a few channels, but i think it was not cheap...

jeff