Danto (Party) train for a Retirees and Handicapped Group (?)

Saw this on Saturday. A couple of students set their camera tripods on platform 7/8 at Shinjuku around 9:30, but I missed the train when it passed by heading south on track one at 9:50.

DSC_0127-2.jpg

I was lucky to shoot it when it returned at 16:50 to platform 6.

DSC_0401.jpg

DSC_0402.jpg

DSC_0419.jpg

I believe that the guys with the green vests are volunteer helpers. I noticed a number people in wheel chairs and also a few mentally and physically handicapped people and their parents or helpers, I think. Some cars had older passengers, perhaps from retirement homes. One of the guys with a green vest had Rescue Squad showing through the vest, so I assume that a police or firemen association or maybe JR sponsored the ride. I refrained from shooting the passengers after I realized what was going on.

DSC_0428.jpg

DSC_0430.jpg

DSC_0431.jpg

DSC_0437-1.jpg

I think that it may have started at Tabata and gone South to maybe Odawara.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

It's a train chartered by the NPO group "niji no kakebashi" (rainbow bridges?), which is apparently a support group for families with members who have disabilities.

At Matsudo Station:

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn
I don't think I've seen dantai translated as PARTY on other JR station displays.

Yes, though it is correct in the sense that it refers to a group party, as in "Smith, party of six" heard at a restaurant that takes reservations.  Of course, some of these charter trains (not this one, obviously) are indeed "parties on wheels", with plenty of alcohol being imbibed.

No Bikkuri, I mean like my new avatar, like PARTAY.  Do you know how many Asahi Super Drys they killed on that ride?  It was like a slaughter.  (gmat, I hope you don't mind)

• Like 1