Jump to content

New table, New layout! Pics+ Video


SubwayHypes

Recommended Posts

SubwayHypes

wow nice design mudkip, that is what i kinda originally had in mind,  however my outer loop has been a pain in the ass to build because i have to peice it together track by track because im using the elevated track.    On paper all the turnouts seemed very doable, but when i actually started to build the layout, the turnouts were getting in the way of my station, etc.  what i need to do is completely switch my station to the opposite side of the layout so that i can create the turnouts that you  have in your blueprints.

 

the layout is currently sort of "modular".  the table itself breaks down into three pieces, (2 sawhorses + table).  then the layout (upper level) consists of 4 wooden pieces supported by PVC tubes. 

 

thanks for all the interesting ideas yall, its gonna be page 3 soon so i guess that means i gotta update with some new pics soon!

Link to post

I really like what you did with your layout. It is a shame that it has to be torn down for your upcoming move.

 

How did you find the 4% incline ? I used the Kato Viaduct Incline which I think is set around 4% but I stretched it out a bit to be more around 3% and my Shinkansens and friends find it friendly. I found that the curve incline was less attractive to the trains than the straight incline.

 

Give the river concept a go - I'm planning one for my layout  - just gotta get around to it I guess! :cool:

Link to post
SubwayHypes

531217007JNS.jpg

 

531217002JNS.jpg

 

531217006JNS.jpg

 

531217005JNS.jpg

 

Currently working on another video, and still waiting on a e231 Tokaido set to arrive and debut in the video.  Meanwhile been adding patches of grass/trees to bald areas of the layout to cover space, and been running my trusty 531 and 217 series suburbans. 

Link to post

Man the layout is a mess right now.  My cats have slowly been destroying it piece by piece.  I havent run anything in over a month and since i am moving i have to start tearing down my layout. :sad:  I have been spending alot of time lately pursueing another interest.  I am thinking about joining the Marines next year and have been working out alot, as well as shooting my AR15 rifles which has been the focus of all my money spending lately.

 

I dont even want to take a picture of the table right now its a total mess.  my e231 that i just shelled out hundreds of bucks for has been collecting dust while sitting derailed because my cats godzilla stomped the cars.

 

I do have a few videos i shot last month that i will make a video for, possibly the last one for this layout.

Link to post
Mudkip Orange

Man the layout is a mess right now.  My cats have slowly been destroying it piece by piece.  I havent run anything in over a month and since i am moving i have to start tearing down my layout. :sad:  I have been spending alot of time lately pursueing another interest.  I am thinking about joining the Marines next year and have been working out alot, as well as shooting my AR15 rifles which has been the focus of all my money spending lately.

 

I dont even want to take a picture of the table right now its a total mess.  my e231 that i just shelled out hundreds of bucks for has been collecting dust while sitting derailed because my cats godzilla stomped the cars.

 

I do have a few videos i shot last month that i will make a video for, possibly the last one for this layout.

 

Have you considered getting rid of the cats?
Link to post

Yea i wish i could just put them in an outside pen.

 

I am cursed, i made a bunch of videos with my new ten car e231 but i cant find them anywhere on my harddrive they might have gotten erased!

 

I am gonna start tearing everything down soon.

 

My new layout i am envision a single layer, however the back of the layout will be in a tunnel/subway so that the train dissapears for a second and re-appears again.  I will also make 75% of the layout dedicated to yards and track, with my city being crammed into the other 25%.  I want my train layout to be more of a nice display of all of my trains, i want to see nicely stocked yards highlighting all the money i wasted, instead of it being in the closet!

 

Wont be able to begin reconstruction until october or so. 

Link to post
Mudkip Orange

I will also make 75% of the layout dedicated to yards and track, with my city being crammed into the other 25%.  I want my train layout to be more of a nice display of all of my trains, i want to see nicely stocked yards highlighting all the money i wasted, instead of it being in the closet!

That's my kinda train layout.
Link to post

Yea so little update :  Cant join the Armed Services because i have asthma and nearsightedness....

 

 

Soooo, im getting into a mortgage next month, moving into a new house that will be MINE, then i can set up the layout again.

 

Im thinking about now staying with my double decker idea, but re-enforcing the supports because parts of the layout are sagging.

 

I also gotta figure someway to fit a nice yard on a 8x4 layout, i wish i had more room!

Link to post

Subway - It's good to hear from you it's been too long. Best of luck with the new house. Is there room for a train room?

Link to post

Hey Subway,

Congrats on getting a new house.  I guess with the way it is in US, it is much more affordable to buy.

 

Cannot wait to see you putting up your layout again.

Link to post

last picture of the current layout, with the bengal cat taking a nap on my former city

 

destructionkitten.jpg

 

and yes, the new place has alot of places to put my 8X4 table, so i will be setting everything back up again in the next few months.

Link to post

Haha the cats routinely like to jump onto my layout and bite at trees, knock over buildings.  I didnt intentionally put him there i walked into the room and was surprised by it haha.

 

Have you noticed a couple of subway trains have come back into stock?

 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10071573

 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10082771

 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10082772

 

:grin

 

yea ive been checking the latest releases, ive had my eye on this one recently because it is the most similar to the tobu subway line that ran with the hibiya line.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10077532

Link to post

Also, if anyone has any layout plans for an 8x4 im all ears.  my current track plan isnt giving me alot of room for a yard, i can only fit like a 2-3 track yard at the most.

Link to post

I think you are using Kato Unitrack. Here's a plan that is 1771 x 856 mm or 69.72" x 33.70".  There is a five track yard and several other sidings.

 

http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/images/Kato_Track/layout_302.jpg

 

On a 8' x 4' layout you can go up to 2438 x 1219 mm.  There more track plans on the site where the one above came from.

 

http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/kato-n-unitrack-track-plan-ideas-815-0.html

 

Or you could try using AnyRail to create your own track plan. One idea might be to wrap the yard around a back corner of the layout.

 

http://www.upmodelrailroad.com/2009/07/26/new-staging-in-the-works/

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...