Re Number Freight Cars

jdnewemail

jdnewemail

Hello

I am 50 this year and my eye sight is not what it used to be. So as a test I would like to renumber my collection of freight cars.

Has any one done this?

Any info would be great

I have had little luck with my searches except for Microscale Decals

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=70102&Category_Code=ALPHA&Product_Count=126

Thanks

John

John,

I did it on the Kato Maxi's (US Freight) I ended up changing the easy digits. 3's to 8 and first digits to give separation also I printing my own decals with a laser printer to use similar fonts. I had a yard that allow me to shunt automatically which was good but I really could not see the numbers anyway and it was more so me knowing what was what.

So its kinda just for personal knowledge that the numbers are different but from a distance they are all the same.

If you are using the Koki freight I would use the containers as identifiers. Use the containers position as binary digits and mix them around. That is the most feasible way of doing it for us who cant see.

7= XXX 6= XX_  5=X_X  4=X__3= _XX 2=_X_ 1=__X 0=___.  The X's are where you have the containers placed on the bed. You can use different color containers to add more numbers. This will allow you to label the shunt.

For example a 7 car shunt would be labeled 5643707  would look like X_X XX_ X__ _XX XXX ___ XXX. After a while you will be able to read binary like any other number and every one will wonder how you can see the numbers when you are actually looking at the containers on the shunt.

Inobu

I know that binary was a pain for me initially so I thought I would add this for visual reference. It kinda fun after you get a hang of it.

[smg id=1349]

So depending on how you placed the cars these 2 car shunts would represent 319 or 931 depending on their positions.