TGV Duplex - New Rolling Stock

disturbman

disturbman

That's it, it's official the SNCF is receptioning a third version of the TGV Duplex intended to be used internationally, the Euro Duplex.

In France it will be used between Paris and the soon to be open (I think the opening is for the moment planed for December 2011) LGV Rhin-Rhone (East) that will shave off time between Paris - Dijon/Belfort/Mulhouse. The last section of the LGV will open next year, shaving off 25 minutes between Strasbourg and destinations like Lyon.

Of the 55 train sets initially ordered, 30 will be directly equipped to run in France, Germany, Luxembourg and Switzerland. The other 25 will only be pre-equipped to run outside of France.  Those trains are planed to be used between on the Paris - Barcelona and rejuvenate the aging fleet of Lyria (Paris - Switzerland).

Among other things those train set will offer inboard information screens showing in different languages the geographical position of the train, the current speed, the stop pattern. The train has also been made wheelchair accessible.

Articles in French (sorry, I haven't found anything in English about them)

- Les Echos

- Ville, Rail et Transports - First Article

- Ville, Rail et Transports - Second Article

• Like 2
lordwinslow2

Cool, I always liked the look of the TGV Duplex and it will be interesting when France gets done with its expansion of the TGV networks. 

Winslow

disturbman

And a more complete article in English at the Railway Gazette

Alstom Chief Executive Patrick Kron formally handed over the first of 55 'third generation' TGV Duplex high speed trainsets to SNCF President Guillaume Pepy by on May 30.

Ordered in June 2007, the latest evolution of the TGV Duplex family incorporates changes arising from EU Technical Specifications for Interoperability, as well as improved passenger information and fire safety equipment and changes aimed at lowering operator's life cycle costs.

The 320 km/h SNCF trainsets will have signalling and multi-voltage electrical equipment for use in France, Germany, Switzerland and Luxembourg, and some will be modified with fire doors for use in Spain. The third generation platform also forms the basis of the 14 sets which Morocco's ONCF ordered in December 2010 for use on Tanger - Casablanca services from 2015.

The first two SNCF trainsets are currently undergoing approval before entry into service from 'late 2011', and deliveries will run to 2014. They are to be deployed on routes including LGV Rhin-Rhône, scheduled to open in December.

Passenger information has been improved from previous TGVs, with new external displays near each door designed to make it easier to read train and coach numbers and the destination. Internal multi-lingual displays will show the stations served, time, current location and speed. Staff have a console to control audio announcements, and ground-to-train communications will make it possible to provide information about connections at the next station or alert maintenance teams to failures.

The 509 seats have digital reservation displays showing the journey segments for which they are occupied, and these can be updated after departure. Internal changes to meet Persons with Reduced Mobility requirements include 50 dedicated PRM seats, as well as wheelchair spaces and larger toilets and aisles to make it easier to move around.

Fire detection systems have been extended to the toilets, family saloon, baggage areas, electrical cabinets and machine compartments, and the trains are designed to incorporate CCTV.

In my hometown (Zurich) we have direct TGV trains to Paris (Gare de l'Est). It's great to hear that we get new rolling stock and even double deckers! I have a thing for high speed doubledeckers! In few years when JR East removes the E1 and E4 Series Shinkansen from service, the TGV Duplex will be the only remaining high speed doubledeckers in service.

In my hometown (Zurich) we have direct TGV trains to Paris [...]

Another Swiss guy!! :-)

The external design seems really close to the old one right?! Except from the color scheme, I don't see any major difference.

If someday I get a TGV, it will be the Thalys, the original orange or this Double Decker, for sure!  :grin

disturbman

Yes, I don't think the design of the locs changed between this generation and the one before. Most changes are inside with more aisle room and handicaped toilets. From what I've understood the upper part of the carriages are also more generous than before. Except that I guess that most the changes are technical. We are still waiting for an double decker AGV... Something like the E4 but able to go at 320kph.

I am a little disappointed with the AGV styling but love EMU configuration, I do hope the duplex version of the AGV will look much better.

I am a little disappointed with the AGV styling but love EMU configuration, I do hope the duplex version of the AGV will look much better.

I agree, the AGV looks really bad. It's a shame because it could be really a cool train!

There is an article in Der Speigel about the new TGV Double Decker 2N2  being tested for approval to operate in Germany. On approval, it  will go into service on the Frankfurt to Marseille run in a few weeks time. There is also a French Wikipedia article on the 2N2.

cheers...Eisenbahn

I agree, the AGV looks really bad. It's a shame because it could be really a cool train!

Yes, the AGV is a bit hard to look at it...boring, and yet annoying at the same time.  Hopefully they can get a cool paint scheme to compensate.

I would imagine that an Arzen's- inspired "TEE" color scheme could make these look quite nice!  Ahh, but I dream....