Impressive scenes

bill937ca

Guest JRF-1935

Hi Bill

Really liked this VID - maybe a "little" weathering on the roof tops might cure that plastic building look :grin

Rich C

That's one relaxed cat.

The layout is incredible.  Despite the use of pre-built structures there are details like the catenary poles on the platforms at the station.

It is a bit let down by the fact that none of the buildings appear to have been painted, and thus have that "plastic" look, despite all the details around them. Perhaps the modeler lives somewhere that spray-painting or airbrushing isn't possible (it's pretty hard to do that in an apartment, particularly if you share it with someone who likes to breathe  :grin ). But otherwise it's amazing.

Really enjoyed watching it in HD! :-)

that's true buildings definitely deserve a bit of weathering. Airbrushing is not possible for everyone (especially people like me who hates it...) but dry brushing is easy and gives a nice look, even on plastic structures.

You can also choose a powder/pigment coating. For me this results in the best and realistic effect. It's simple and you can always wash it off for a new coating if you make a mistake too many. Fixating can be done with another coating of matte varnish (be sure that it doesn't affect the original painting/resin!)

nice layout. even a little fog of dull coat can take that sheen off even if you dont want it weathered.

also needs some stray vegetation/weeds, etc in some of the ag areas, a little too perfect, but nicely done fields.

jeff

He's done a nice job weathering the track, maybe he just likes clean buildings.

I'm not sure I like his track weathering. It's all very nearly exactly the same colour - rails, ballast, ties and all. All the real track I've seen varies quite a bit more than what he has.

Hahaha Just looking at the thumbnail, I almost thought that was a octopus being put out to dry or something.

On a related note, I do agree that all the plastic stuff just needs a coat of paint. I think that's the very first step and makes everything that much nicer. Then of course, comes weathering, which elevates it to the next level (though I find a clean building is preferable to a badly weathered one as the badly weathered one is way too distracting). In this regard, I just set up my Kato Overhead Track station and the first thing that I noticed is the plastic looking walls. I just set it up temporarily and as soon as I get my paint booth up and raining, it's going to get a fresh coat of paint. At least the current crop of Kato buildings are all actually painted.

In two minds about weathering  ???

My previous UK layouts and my Peru Rail layout have all been heavily weathered but have resisted doing the same to Niihama Station as want to keep it looking "Japanese" mainly because Japan towns to me generally do look clean and new - even the old bits - compared to most western cities. A halfway house could be just weathering all of the building roofs lightly but could I stop at that point and resist going further?  :sad1:

• Like 1