Murphy's Law in Action

Two nights ago, it was pouring in Tokyo. The 185 Home-liner Odawara was at Platform 6 and passengers were embarking. Most of the platform edge was dry save about a meter stretch that had rain water dripping down. It fell right at the only door that the passengers were using.

DSC_0181-1.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

The conductor kept brushing of the rainwater from the back of his coat.

Why not use another door or even have the train stop a few meters short.

Best wishes,

Grant

bikkuri bahn

The reason only one door is open is that this is a home liner service- in addition to a regular ticket (or season pass), you have to line up to submit a place number ticket (the portly woman is doing exactly that), the amount issued is the exact number of seats available on the train.  There are no standing passengers allowed on these trains. The opened door happens to be in this wet spot because the home liner ticket machines are nearby.

Thanks, BikkuriBahn.

I meant no disrespect to the JR staff, but wondered if some flexibility might have helped. Certainly I'd request a work order to have a temporary board or sheet placed above to divert the run off. It will rain this weekend and rainy season is coming soon.

Best wishes,

Grant

Thanks, BikkuriBahn.

I meant no disrespect to the JR staff, but wondered if some flexibility might have helped. Certainly I'd request a work order to have a temporary board or sheet placed above to divert the run off. It will rain this weekend and rainy season is coming soon.

Best wishes,

Grant

As wonderfully precise and efficient as they are, flexibility isn't one of their strongest traits.

A friend of mind had a university scholarship to study at a Japanese university. He, being born and raised in Canada as a native English speaker tried to avoid taking the mandatory English classes that were part of the curriculum. The University's requirement for skipping the classes involved having a high enough TESOL(a recognized International English as a Second Language test). Being a Native English speaker, he wasn't allowed to take the TESOL. No TESOL score meant that he was forced to take the classes, no exceptions.

Dear Sir,

I refer to your inquiry regarding the rain water at Platform 6.  JR has assessed the problem and found that all of our systems are in place and functioning normally.  We suggest you refer the matter to God.

Kind regards,

JR Staff

This is Japan. That door would be stopped dead centre on the appropriate mark on the platform and you'd need a decree from the Emperor to do otherwise. :grin

bikkuri bahn
Being a Native English speaker, he wasn't allowed to take the TESOL. No TESOL score meant that he was forced to take the classes, no exceptions.

I find that hard to believe.  Which university did he study at?  They must have very few native English speakers as students(many Chinese perhaps).  At least he could have come to an understanding with the instructor, like passing a "test" at the end of the term to get the credit, without attending the classes. Anyway, very few Japanese universities have mandatory English classes (most if not all students have been studying it for 6 years already), as students study languages other than English in college for breadth requirements (it's called daini gaikoku-go or second foreign language).  Right now Chinese and Korean are popular.

Being a Native English speaker, he wasn't allowed to take the TESOL. No TESOL score meant that he was forced to take the classes, no exceptions.

I find that hard to believe.  Which university did he study at?  They must have very few native English speakers as students(many Chinese perhaps).  At least he could have come to an understanding with the instructor, like passing a "test" at the end of the term to get the credit, without attending the classes. Anyway, very few Japanese universities have mandatory English classes (most if not all students have been studying it for 6 years already), as students study languages other than English in college for breadth requirements (it's called daini gaikoku-go or second foreign language).  Right now Chinese and Korean are popular.

Don't know which University, and I haven't talked to the fellow in years. He was there studying Engineering for 2 years, eventually came back to Canada when he found out that the Japanese degree was nearly worthless here - the Canadian University would only give partial credit for the courses he took.

bikkuri bahn

Ah I see.  Seems your acquaintance should have checked up more on his education options before he even went to Japan.  That said, I seriously doubt a reputable institution with a foreign student population that includes those from Anglophone nations (i.e Waseda, Keio, any of the big public universities, as well as second and even third tier unis) would have such boneheaded rules.  It reeks not of inflexibility, but rather administrative incompetence- it's in the interest of the universities to make the education of foreign students as worry-free and smooth as possible.  Of course, there are many institutions in Japan with shady backgrounds (no Japanese students, but many Chinese students) or for-profit motives (as they exist also in the states- see Univ. of Phoenix), so your experiences may vary.

^^^ Baha maybe they could use the English course. Most kids can't write worth crap these days.

He was studying Engineering. :) In my experience that almost guarantees he could use a few extra English lessons.