This month's rail magazines

bikkuri bahn

Tetsudo Fan, never to let an anniversary go to waste, has a special issue out, celebrating 50 years since the first issue on July, 1961.  Included is an insert booklet with the covers of all issues to date:

http://railf.jp/magazine/2011/603.html

My favorite quarterly,Jtrain, in addition to freight coverage, has a feature on the 14 series passenger coaches, as well the 117 series emu based in Kyoto (*IIRC one of the forumers here is a big 117 series fan)

If you recall correctly... YEAH YOU DO  :grin.  Thanks for the heads-up, I'm planning on placing an order for the July Railway Journal and Rail Magazine, I might see if I can get this too.  I don't think I've ever had a copy of it.  I saw the Railfan on their website, to be honest, I think I'm going to take a pass.  How is it, other than the retrospective stuff?  I have the April issue, it's good of course, but I really liked the April Railway Journal.  How's that 117 article?  I'll look at their site a little later tonight, sounds like it might be a must-have.

bikkuri bahn

I just took a cursory glance at the issue.  About half of the contents is historical, then there is current news and an in-depth article about contemporary operations/rosters(usually freight,as other mags don't cover this topic as much).  I'm not sure how many pages the 117 feature is, though is just covers the JNR color 117's based out of Kyoto, not the Tokai area 117's (Ogaki based?) or those running in Okayama.

This week's Shukan Gendai (June, 11) has a photo spread on the damage to the Tohoku area rail lines including the Sanriku Line. (Kita-Riasu and Minami-Riasu Lines)

Don't know if you can view it on their online web page. Warning, it's one of those "page three" like magazines, but nice photos.

http://kodansha.cplaza.ne.jp/wgendai/

Best wishes,

Grant