92007: The other Tomix Track Cleaner

stevenh

OK, I was browsing eBay again recently and saw what looked like a really nice 2-car Kiha485 set... I'd seen something like this inin the suita yards near Osaka and always thought it must've been a track inspection vehicle.

So I have a closer look at the auction... It's a Tomix 92007 "Electric 2 Car Track Cleaning Set" from the "J.N.R. (Japanese National Railway)".. supposedly from 1986!

Now, the link above is to the reslisted auction... the first auction started a few days back at US$0.99, with an unspecified reserve. So, I decided I'd have a punt and kept bidding up until US$90 to see if I could get the reserve. Turns out I was way out of league, as I kept hitting "You are the highest bidder but the reserve has not been met."

So, I email the seller... "What was the reserve? Was I even close? Can we do a deal? Will you relist?"...

No response.

I kept it 'watched' in eBay and this morning saw the "This item has been relisted."

So I check it out... and the (now no reserve) Buy It Now (or make an offer) price is $US495.95....

I nearly rolled over and died....

Here's some pics so that this story stays alive :)

ON another note... I could go on about this auction too....... it was listed originally atn $US0.99... I bid up to US$60 and now it's been relisted as US$295.95... just for an maroon EF81? You gots to be crazy!

...  ???

post-61-13569922079558_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922079736_thumb.jpg

post-61-1356992207999_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922080353_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922080692_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922080813_thumb.jpg

CaptOblivious

I'd been watching that EF81, too; didn't see it relisted, but thought, my god! $60 isn't enough?

These people are on serious crack if they think they can sell these pieces—nice though they are—at those prices, in this economy especially. How exactly does one arrive at a $500 price tag for two cars?

Man.

Be fun to watch those for a while and see where they go.

Update: I found the EF81 auction: 295USD! This is totally absurd, even if the model is very rare. I don't usually do this (I'm a very private person), but I sent the following to the seller, because, I mean, come on. He had this coming.

You are kidding, right? These items don't exactly appreciate in

value. The reason is that Tomix 2131, which superseded the

model you have for sale, is better quality, and is only $50 new.

The $60 the original auction went for was a more than fair price

for this older, lesser quality model.

hahaha... you get 'em!

I felt like swearing and yelling at that new price tag... but after they didn't respond to a simple message I decided against it...

Maybe I will have a few beers and consider a response tonight... and *ahem*.. I wouldn't want everyone else on the forum to do it too :P

;D

Links repaired, thanks for the heads up :)

Martijn Meerts

Isn't that 2 set cleaning train the one where 1 set of wheels rotates the opposite direction from the others, and has grinding stones instead of wheels?

I remember some horror stories about it stalling somewhere in a mountain area and the operator hadn't noticed. It managed to grind a nice little dip in the track =)

OK, I was browsing eBay again recently and saw what looked like a really nice 2-car Kiha485 set... I'd seen something like this inin the suita yards near Osaka and always thought it must've been a track inspection vehicle.

So I have a closer look at the auction... It's a Tomix 92007 "Electric 2 Car Track Cleaning Set" from the "J.N.R. (Japanese National Railway)".. supposedly from 1986!

Now, the link above is to the reslisted auction... the first auction started a few days back at US$0.99, with an unspecified reserve. So, I decided I'd have a punt and kept bidding up until US$90 to see if I could get the reserve. Turns out I was way out of league, as I kept hitting "You are the highest bidder but the reserve has not been met."

So, I email the seller... "What was the reserve? Was I even close? Can we do a deal? Will you relist?"...

No response.

I kept it 'watched' in eBay and this morning saw the "This item has been relisted."

So I check it out... and the (now no reserve) Buy It Now (or make an offer) price is $US495.95....

I nearly rolled over and died....

Here's some pics so that this story stays alive :)

ON another note... I could go on about this auction too....... it was listed originally atn $US0.99... I bit up to US$80 and now it's been relisted as US$295.95... just for an maroon EF81? You gots to be crazy!

...  ???

I almsot bid on it but after a royal ass spanking on that EF81 the same guy was selling I gave up on it. I still can't believe that a 20 year old EF81 set went for what HobbySearch is selling them for new.

Based on this advice... We nearly need to coordinate bidding on Japanese stock on eBay...

If we're all fighting eachother then we should work out who actually deserves it and then allow them a cheaper price  8)

CaptOblivious

Based on this advice... We nearly need to coordinate bidding on Japanese stock on eBay...

If we're all fighting eachother then we should work out who actually deserves it and then allow them a cheaper price  8)

I've thought the same thing after nearly bidding on a couple of items that AlpineAustralian then went on to win! Perhaps people considering bidding on an item start a thread in the "want ads" section (being both apropos and private) advertising this fact?

CaptOblivious

Update: I found the EF81 auction: 295USD! This is totally absurd, even if the model is very rare. I don't usually do this (I'm a very private person), but I sent the following to the seller, because, I mean, come on. He had this coming.

You are kidding, right? These items don't exactly appreciate in

value. The reason is that Tomix 2131, which superseded the

model you have for sale, is better quality, and is only $50 new.

The $60 the original auction went for was a more than fair price

for this older, lesser quality model.

Well, I got a reply. I can't help but shake my head...

The good thing is - you don't have to buy mine - buy the $60.00 one.

CaptOblivious

I sent what I hope was a courteous reply. Although I believe I have a duty to inform the seller that they are making a mistake, and as much as I want to be an ass about it, I don't actually want to be an ass.

Fair enough.

I guess my point simply was that I would be very surprised to

see the item sell at that price. But upon reflection, others have

said the same about some of my sales, and I proved them

wrong. So, I (sincerely) look forward to you proving me wrong!

What I say is true: I recently sold my POS (but running!) 1986 Honda Elite 80 scooter for the tidy sum of $1000. The scooter is hardly worth that much (maybe $500 on a good day), but the prevailing conditions ($4+ gas) meant that the market was willing to bear this price. Someone sent me a message telling me I was off my rocker (and they were downright rude about it), and I proved them wrong by selling the scooter the very next afternoon for my asking price.

Of course, the market has already told him what the loco is worth: $60. That he won't heed this sign is what's so damned funny about this situation

Now I feel bad, they've dropped the price!:

But It Now Price: US$371.96 US$495.95...

We're winning! Slowly... we'll get you Webster, we'll get you! *shakes fist* >:(

And a response from the seller to my initial question:

It has been relisted in my eBay Store - Webster's Store -.

I will always consider a reasonable deal. Thanks for your interest.

alpineaustralia

The funny thing is that I have also heard horror stories about this tomix.

They do grind away your tack if they stop in one place and that is why they were replaced.

On Capt's other point, I have also wondereed whether I am competing with you guys for an item.

Lets keep a back channel open on it.

What I say is true: I recently sold my POS (but running!) 1986 Honda Elite 80 scooter for the tidy sum of $1000. The scooter is hardly worth that much (maybe $500 on a good day), but the prevailing conditions ($4+ gas) meant that the market was willing to bear this price. Someone sent me a message telling me I was off my rocker (and they were downright rude about it), and I proved them wrong by selling the scooter the very next afternoon for my asking price.

Of course, the market has already told him what the loco is worth: $60. That he won't heed this sign is what's so damned funny about this situation

Wonder what my Vino is worth?

CaptOblivious

Wonder what my Vino is worth?

Here in the STL? At least 1500USD, depending on condition, and whether its the (more desirable) two-stroke variant (which could fetch a a good bit more).

Here in the STL? At least 1500USD, depending on condition, and whether its the (more desirable) two-stroke variant (which could fetch a a good bit more).

They sell new at 1600, LOL. That would rock if mine appreciated in value. ( have a tu-stroker)

I wouldn't charge $800 for a 2-car rail cleaner... Read the first thread :) ... It tells the story of an American salesman thinking they have something worthy and hoping a poor fool will snap it up.

I wouldn't charge $800 for a 2-car rail cleaner... Read the first thread :) ... It tells the story of an American salesman thinking they have something worthy and hoping a poor fool will snap it up.

Email him asking if he's on crack :p

CaptOblivious

Bump! The items weren't selling at his over-inflated prices (surprise!): So he's relisted them as auctions. I think he should have taken the $60 he could have gotten for that EF81 when he first listed it, and run. Not the smartest egg in the basket. Or something.

http://cgi.ebay.com/N-Scale-ENGINE-TOMIX-JNR-Japanese-Nat-Railway_W0QQitemZ360132796121QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains

http://cgi.ebay.com/N-Scale-ENGINE-TOMIX-JNR-Japanese-Nat-Railway_W0QQitemZ360132797449QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains

I ended up buying the model in the loot from Japan recently... $60USD.

I still can't believe this guy...

I should do an article on this rail cruncher and show everyone the damage it can really do... I can't say anything about it yet though as I haven't even run it yet.