Can join direction dependant outputs?

Hello,

I have installed an Uhlenbrock 73410 decoder in the motor car of my Mangattan Liner (KATO 10-922). Now I added interior lights but this decoder only has 2 aux. outputs and both are direction dependant, and I can't change the behavior of these outputs via CV programming.

My question is if I can connect both outputs to the positive of the led lights, so it doesn't matter the train direction. It will always be one of the ouputs active and the leds will always light. I've seen in other Uhlenbrock decoder manuals that this can be done, but in the specific manual of this model (73410) there isn't any hint about it....

One easy solution I thought is to solder diodes in this outputs prior to the led strip, but if anybody has experienced and it's not needed, I don't have room for more components.....

Thanks!

Dani.

CaptOblivious

Most decoder manufacturers, in my experience, opt for the simple solution for driving the function lines—the function lead can either be high ("on") or floating ("off") (rather than low for "off"). Which means it should be perfectly OK to wire the two leads together.

That said, depending on Uhlenbrock's warranty, you might consider a test before you install it! Otherwise a couple of fast barrier diodes with >>12V reverse voltage are going to be called for, yes.

So in other words, all I can add is that it is most likely the case that this decoder will tolerate wiring them together.

Just to confirm what CaptOblivious wrote: I sent an email to Uhlenbrock and they answered that I can join both outputs in all their decoders.

And sharing this question with more people, seems that it can be done in all decoders.

Thanks!

Dani

• Like 1