My Layout for pickup from Melbourne

stevenh

Sanyo Shinkansen N Scale model train layout

If I had the space then I'd snap this up instantly... just the layout and construction looks superb and, apart from there being no rolling stock, I'd say the owner is making quite a loss at the less-than-one-thousand AU asking price!

I'm attaching the pictures so we can mourn the loss of the auction once some lucky buyer does the purchasing...

post-61-13569922073843_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922074196_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922074563_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922075036_thumb.jpg

And some more images....

Here listed is my N scale layout of the famous Sanyo Shinkansen, which runs between Hakata and Shin-Osaka in Western Honshu, Japan. I have built it up over the last 4 years, but an increasingly busy lifestyle has precluded me from finishing it.

The layout is modular, i.e. it is comprised of 5 pieces that bolt together, with bolt on legs. Most pieces are 0.5m x 1.5m. The longest section is the station area which is 2.2m x 0.5m. The framing is high quality 75x19mm pine, with no knots.

post-61-13569922075426_thumb.jpg

post-61-135699220758_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922076258_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922076717_thumb.jpg

Final set of images... (Darren, any chance of upping the attachment limit on posts? 8 images maybe? :) )

What you'll need to do:

1) Shinkansen (not included)

2) Application of ground foam over the polystyrene, Woodlands Scenics supplied in quantity

3) Application of ballast (supplied)

4) Fitment of overhead gantrys (supplied and painted)

5) Backdrops - full panoramic jpegs available, as photographed in Western Honshu.

post-61-1356992207742_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922077775_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922078292_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922078771_thumb.jpg

I agree, the seller looks like he just wants to sell it immediately. Also the design of the layout looks like it will come apart easily and in sections for transport.

I wonder if I can stash it in my parents garage :)

It does break up into nice pieces... it seems the owner didn't use 100% Japanese track either... Too bad there's no 300Series shinkansen included, nor a local line beneath? It would be important to add them!

Martijn Meerts

Looks like it's not digital either, so there's another whole bunch of work (and money) if you want to add a digital system ;)

It looks good though, but in general I'm not much of a buyer of complete layouts, the main part of the fun in model railroading for me is the planning and building stage. Once a layout is finished (or as finished as they can be), I tend to start planning a new one =)

Darren Jeffries

Final set of images... (Darren, any chance of upping the attachment limit on posts? 8 images maybe? :) )

I have updated the allowed attachments to 8. Max size of attachments is 700kb and total size per post is 4MB.

Hope this is enough. If not let me know.

The layout would be a great starting point to a great layout. Seems like there is good framework below to add subway lines too.

haha yea thats a good table, i just failed miserably in my first attempt at making a train table.

Hehe, same here. I still have my "failed attempt" table in my garage, not sure how to get rid of it. That's why I use Ikea tables now ...  ;D

But speaking of this layout, would all the tracks and buildings and controllers and everything there worth more then 1000 AUD?

If I could change the title of this thread to the subject of this single post... then I would.

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Wow, have you bought it? It's still listed on ebay ... wait, it says offer pending. Is that you?  :D

Pending? Really?  ;D

Lol.. the other person offered AUD$50? ... Today is hereby declared as whacky eBay day...

Now to work out how to get it here and then what to do for local lines... and then when to start organising a stall at model railway shows :P

CaptOblivious

Well, the auction ended, but it doesn't look like there was a winner. Two offers declined, one for 50AUD, one for 850AUD. Was that last one you stevenh?

Yup, everything was sorted out post-eBay due to listing fees, etc...

Everything is locked in place.

I even get to make offers for Shinkansen when I get there to pick it all up,.

CaptOblivious

If I could change the title of this thread to the subject of this single post... then I would.

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Your wish, etc. :D

wow you went out and got it?  any chance you might be parting out anything?

and yea, i still have my "failed table attempt" in my garage right now, it pains me to think what  a terrible carpenter i am.  luckily i found a guy a few miles away with an HO table for scale that is 8x4 and i can adapt to my needs.

alpineaustralia

Steven I also saw and started to think how I could get it back to Sydney.

Do you think there are parts that you might want to off load yourself?

Merry Xmas early!! :o

Congratulations on the purchase and hope you can work something out on the train sets!

How far is Melbourne from Sydney? Do you have a van to move it?

I just looked at the listing again and the layout isn't finished and he's including all the materials to complete it. You really got a great buy!! :o

I'm curious, I can't tell from the photos but is there a track plan we can see?

Hey all, I'm currently in negotiations with friends who have larger cars (I drive a 2-seater MR2) to get the model railway 700kms across Australia.

As for splitting it up, we'll talk more when I have everything in my hands and can work out what I want to do with it all.

As for the track plan, it seems to be a very simple oval with a hidden staging line parallel on one side... but I'll also confirm that once I actually see it.

Congrats Stevenh,

Looking forward to see how the layout will progress once you transport the whole thing across 700km, maybe you can rent a truck.

Please update us on how it goes!