Types of couplers

The_Ghan

Gentlemen,

Could someone please teach me the correct names of different couplers used on N scale?  A lot of my models have knuckle couplers, I think - ugly things.  A nicer coupler is the ones that plug into each other.  I think they are called TN couplers but I don't know what TN stands for or means.  Also, is this coupler the same between manufacturers or not?

A bit of a lesson with some graphics would be great.  Prior to getting into N scale I was a Hornby man with British trains.  Yes, I put up with the ugliest couplers in the world.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Yuh ... I know that site thanks Haruka.  Was more interested in Japanese specific.

Cheers

The_Ghan

harukablue

I know most modern TOMIX stuff will take their TN coupler, why they dont fit them from new to a Electric/diesel unit baffles me, and KATO make various ones for their rolling stock some even come with jumper cables, the Gaugemaster site has some good pics and details on eg

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=K11-704

As for compatibility of each other, i'm not sure but doubt it, as each maker will offer the correct matching rolling stock for their product unless we are talking about freight stock.

There are 3 main styles of couplers (not including many strange prototype and not prototype Euro couplers):

Rapido - square, tilts up to automatically couple, don't match any prototype

Knuckle style - rounded, opens to couple (except for dummies), designed to look like Janney/'buckeye' couple.

Scharfenberg style - flat with matching spike/holes. Requires some force to couple. Designed to look like many MU couplers.

Rapidos are universal - they all match and could easily have fallen out of the same plastic mold.

Knuckle couplers are mostly universal - they are the main North American coupler and are mostly based off the Microtrains version. Many variations exist (McHenry, Kato, Bachmann, Accumate) but they are compatible as far as joining goes - performance with different brands can vary. The exception is Tomix and Microace who make knuckle style TN couplers which are not compatible - they are designed for looks and close coupling, where as the original Microtrains design is somewhat overscaled and long to make it easier for yard operations.

Some modelers replace US n-scale knuckle couplers with the similar design but smaller US z-scale knuckle couplers. This is to make the couplers closer to the size of the prototype. Some locomotives include 'prototype' dummy knuckle couplers, which are both solid (can't automatically couple) and are closer to z-scale in size. An example are many mainline steam engines, whose front couplers don't need to be operational.

Scharfenberg couplers are mostly specific to one manufacturer, and some have more then one style. They generally won't work with one another (A Kato won't work with a Tomix).