tomix c57-1

keitaro

so i'm sold on this looks awesome to me.

i have an order for the 24 series sleeper cars as long as this is in stock when thats comes put i will be buying otgether anyone else have this?

comments?

The jackrabbit starts don't impress much but tweaking the decoder settings could fix that. I'd like to see how he installed the sound decoder.

sooooooo i could not help my self and just ordered the tomix c57-1 and to my surprise received the payment request in under 2 hours yes thats right 2 hours.

i didn't get it's pasennger car set as it was $140 for 5 cars rip off IMO.

perhaps in a few months i will when i have more $$$ to play with. anyway i will have the 24 series sleepers to pull next month.

For now she shall be freight.

Alright  :grin

so as stated in what did you order thread i got this today.

Just played with it for 30 minutes and all i can say is OMG WTF BBQ!!!!!!  :grin :grin :grin

I am going to have lots of fun with this baby.

So i'll sum up the model.

The motor is not in the tender it's in the body of course.

It has all wheel pickup. i.e. the coupler between tender and loco is sames as on the shinkansens and carries power across.

it runs incredibly smooth and pulls many cars well. I didn't video it but I had all freight cars as in vid below and placed on the whole 8 extra passenger cars and thomas passenger car x 2 and sodor mail car.

Considering my grades are greater than 3% and it went up without a issue at only 30 on my dial and at a really smooth pull i'd say it has incredible pulling power. (all wheel pickup would help with this.)

The light at front lights up when going forward of course. Also the light at back of tender lights up when reversing.

additional bits includes-

-Rapido coupler to plug into the front. (has a dummy coupler installed but they can clip out with tweezers from under neath)

-Also comes with to clip on knuckle style couplers for front and tender as well. (again tweezers will unclip these and the tender has rapido by default)

- an attachable cow catcher

- steam roof piece (forget what it's called)

- front and back badge and several plates (c571)

- several other decals I have no idea where they go but there just knobs and bits and some stairs.

the pictures are off my iphone if I can later I will take some better ones on my 7d and post

video

post-484-13569928068895_thumb.jpg

post-484-13569928069165_thumb.jpg

post-484-13569928096268_thumb.jpg

It certainly does look good. I wish it were more DCC friendly.

I like the backdrop behind the bridge. :cheesy

back drop will be done one day ..... heh

my little one hasn't seen yet but will be showing him when i get home.

Martijn Meerts

I have the Tomix C57-135, which is pretty much the same loco, and it's definitely a good runner. I've managed to install a decoder in it too, which wasn't the easiest, but not the worst I've done. I do think I messed up putting the thing together though, it's a bit more noisy that it used to be. I have an idea of what could cause it, just haven't gotten around to opening it up again :)

I have the Tomix C57-135, which is pretty much the same loco, and it's definitely a good runner. I've managed to install a decoder in it too, which wasn't the easiest, but not the worst I've done. I do think I messed up putting the thing together though, it's a bit more noisy that it used to be. I have an idea of what could cause it, just haven't gotten around to opening it up again :)

My problem with steam too, and the reason I prefer my steam to be at least a bit DCC ready.

i'll get out mt 70 - 200 mk II 2.8l and take some close up snaps. I can say this is different to the other c57 model you reffer to. I.e. main differences being the electric coupler for the tender.

It looks alot more difficult to get unscrewed from beneath. maybe i am wrong though but looks like the one you have is not blocked off by the coupler to tender. I'd be scared to pull it apart i had enough trouble with my dd51 1805 micro ace....

Martijn Meerts

It usually depends a bit on the motor and the decoder, and by playing with the motor type cv's as well as the BEMF cv's you can actually change the noise of the motor.

In the case of the C57 though, I just think I put a couple of things in the wrong way, nothing major though...

Keitaro, the C57-135 has a power conducting coupler between loco and tender as well, but it might be a somewhat different system (Tomix seems to like messing with couplers ;))

Not at home to look right now but when i looked at it i think i counted 6 or  8 screws under ? to open it up and the coupler evil to remove.