"Hitachis" soldier on a little longer- Melbourne

bikkuri bahn

Just the other day I came across this old slide from my first trip interstate back in 1981, taken from a dutch door on the Overland coming into Melbourne. Agfachrome slides don't age well but it shows an Hitachi train in bare stainless steel before they were disfigured with safety stripes.

post-218-13569928000453_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
marknewton

Ah, nostalgia's a wonderful thing. The "Overland" was too, a great train to ride on back in SAR days. I could tell you some stories about that...

My mate Stuart is a driver trainer with Metro or whatever they call themselves this week, he loves the Hitachis for much the same reasons as I love our S-sets. They sound and feel like a real train, there's bugger all in them to go wrong, and they always get you home.

Thanks for the photo, too!

Cheers,

Mark.

bikkuri bahn
They sound and feel like a real train, there's bugger all in them to go wrong, and they always get you home.

I got the sense that was the case from their longevity and the fact they are being pressed into service so readily.

Ah, nostalgia's a wonderful thing. The "Overland" was too, a great train to ride on back in SAR days. I could tell you some stories about that...

My mate Stuart is a driver trainer with Metro or whatever they call themselves this week, he loves the Hitachis for much the same reasons as I love our S-sets. They sound and feel like a real train, there's bugger all in them to go wrong, and they always get you home.

Thanks for the photo, too!

Cheers,

Mark.

Same with our EMUs. I brought a pair back from Varsity Lakes the other night, it was great fun thrashing them up to 100kmh on the grades down the coast.

i don't think peope hate the train as much as the network and it's many issues.

if the trains ran on time a satisfactory ammount and didn't have to stand crushed together i think there would be less complaints about the trains themselves.

Last few weeks i been working 7 - 3 and the trains are packed to the max. yesterday was the worst where i was squashed agains the guards door for 40 mins unable to move and people couldn't get in the train.

But thats in sydney which is getting just as bad due to less people driving because of fuel prices and the likes.