Snow Operations

bill937ca

it would be so cool to have a snow layout.  or to periodically douse the whole layout in fake snow, then just pressure blast it off later.  sounds kinda messy though.

Martijn Meerts

The biggest problem with a snowy layout, is that pretty much everything currently available to make good looking snow will start yellowing over time :/

There is also temporary snow however, which you can indeed just throw on the layout and vacuum off once you're done.

The biggest problem with a snowy layout, is that pretty much everything currently available to make good looking snow will start yellowing over time :/

There is also temporary snow however, which you can indeed just throw on the layout and vacuum off once you're done.

The easy way to keep the snow from turning yellow is to make sure the cat can't jump up on the layout.  ;D

I quite agree it's a pity we cannot model the snow cleaning operation as it is. But can someone tell me whether the snow clearing device is actually part of the locomotive or is it a separate vehicle? I've recently seen a set with two 2-axle snow plows and a diesel locomotive, and was wondering how such a short vehicle can keep on track while being pushed over solid snow by a heavy locomotive.

I quite agree it's a pity we cannot model the snow cleaning operation as it is. But can someone tell me whether the snow clearing device is actually part of the locomotive or is it a separate vehicle? I've recently seen a set with two 2-axle snow plows and a diesel locomotive, and was wondering how such a short vehicle can keep on track while being pushed over solid snow by a heavy locomotive.

Well it is Japanese after all so my theory is some sort of super magnetic field or anti gravity device.

That seems to be a pretty common arrangement even outside Japan. The videos show snow blowers not snow plows.  Here's some photos.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:JNR_DD14_323.JPG

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:DD14_317.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:DE15_Russel_in_Hokkaido.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:JRC-DE151541.JPG

G'day Railmind, on the DD14 and DD15s, the ploughs are simply attached to the loco when required, both have various mounting points/brackets built onto the loco frames.

The DE15 ploughs are separate vehicles, they are coupled to the loco using the normal knuckle couplers, plus there are three telescopic braces or buffers attached between the loco and the plough to stop it bucking vertically when it hits a snow drift. You can see the mounts on this photo - one on the hood between the two number plates, and two on either side of the headstock between the marker lights and the MU jumper receptacles.

Okuizumo_Orochi-go_Locomotive.jpg

And the ploughs themselves are heavily ballasted to help keep them on the rails!

All the best,

Mark.

It looks as if the top-center buffer gets a good amount of use as well..

It's either corrosion or just dent-work around it that provides a textured effect that you don't usually see on Japanese locos.

It does look a bit battered, doesn't it?

But I'm sure they have rough fitters in Japan, too!    ;D

Cheers,

Mark.

This is a timely post since I've just shoveled out my driveway twice today. We got 5" of snow today but what am I complaining about Bill's up in Canada.

This is a timely post since I've just shoveled out my driveway twice today. We got 5" of snow today but what am I complaining about Bill's up in Canada.

We had 10.5mm of snow, blowing snow and -19C yesterday and last night.  Brilliant clear day today but no better than -13C today.  Snow heavy at times starting at midnight; 15 cm in total and -14 C tomorrow.  We had open air trolley rides along Front Street today!  Just get out your snowmobile gear and you are all set!  ;D  ;D  And there were reindeer along with their trainers out on Front Street today.  Who's grumbling about winter?  ???  ;D

We had 10.5mm of snow, blowing snow and -19C yesterday and last night.  Brilliant clear day today but no better than -13C today.  Snow heavy at times starting at midnight; 15 cm in total and -14 C tomorrow.  We had open air trolley rides along Front Street today!  Just get out your snowmobile gear and you are all set!  ;D  ;D  And there were reindeer along with their trainers out on Front Street today.  Who's grumbling about winter?   ???   ;D

Sadly we didn't get the 2" we were called for last night. But it is 30F outside.