What freight wagons will go round Tomix 103 curves?

keiman

As per title am looking at running a few freight cars to feed light industry on the new layout.

The Kato pocket line set looks possible for the loco but I don't really like the look of the two wagons. Have other loco's I can use so just really after Box cars or similar to transport fromfield to proccessing plant.

The old style box cars and wagons can; I can double check with both Kato and Kawaii rolling stock tonight. From previous experience I know that despite LifeLike 50ft boxcars going around 140mm track there are still some Atlas 40ft cars that bind on it.

Generally all the old black 2 axle JNR rolling stock should be good unless there are coupler issues or the wheels are out of gauge. The longer 80000 series derived boxcars (brown, blue, purple) cannot go around 103mm curves. Some 4 axle cars with trucks can probably go around 103mm curves (very dependent on how the trucks are assembled and what obstructions exist - my Taki 1900 cement cars have a good chance) but look very, very silly doing so.

From some testing:

Both Kato and Kawai 2-axle black rolling stock go around the curves, though I'm not entirely convinced of the Kawai when using knuckle couplers (seem to want to come off the rails). There is some minor dragging against the rails even with Kato, this may reduce the number of cars that can be pulled and reduce reliability.

The Kato Taki 1900 cement cars run perfectly on the 103mm curves (I'm using the Kato knuckle couplers), but Koki cars (including the shorter Koki 200) bind immediately. I don't have any oil cars to test.

Cheers for testing themDavid.

Will look out for some of the black 4 wheeled stock.

Have also done a bit of investigating myself and thinking about using a few Peco 10' tank wagon kits that  could be painted up to suit.