Roster Access Database

The_Ghan

Not sure where to put this topic. 

I'm wondering if any of you have created a decent MS Access database to maintain your roster and, if so, would you care to share it with us.  I'm keen to put my roster onto Access.  I think Martijn might have one, his roster looks like it has been created using Access.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Guest JRF-1935

I just use a MS WP document for my Tomix/Tomy roster.  Makes it easy for me to update, etc.  Have to make one for Kato, Micro Ace, Kawai, etc.  No need for a spread sheet, or extra soft ware.  Plus easier to email as an attachment, since most can open and read.  Just an idea from an "older" computer illiterate who believes in the "KISS" method - "Keep it simple stupid"

Rich C

nik_n_dad

I built up an excel spreadsheet.  It's a little more manual than I'd like right now, but it works for keeping us organized.

Martijn Meerts

Actually, I'm using Numbers, a spreadsheet program that's part of iWork on the Mac. I did use to do some Access stuff, but then found out it's a pretty crappy database :)

I'm still working on a large online database where people can register and then have a personal page with their roster etc, but I've hit a bit of a stumbling block with regards to multi-lingual content. I really do want everything to be multi-lingual, and the UI is easy to do, but the content has me a bit stumped. I'm getting to a point where I'm considering going English only for now, and just get it up and running, and then work on some multi-lingual implementation afterwards.

Multiple languages in addition to revisions and user editable content makes things a bit complicated :)

Martijn,

Suggest releasing your website in English first. At least you'll have people using it and spreading the word.

In the meantime, I'm going to make my own Access database ... because I can.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

The Ghan, I might even write an Access import tool, so you can just upload the access database and it'll automagically be converted ;)

The main issue going with English only at first, is that once I do work on multi-language content, I'll need to rewrite a large part of the system. Implement a multi-language UI is dead simple, but there's no point in that if you only have English content.

On the other hand, the first iteration of a website is often not very optimal, and I can learn from the mistakes to make a better 2nd version and work on the multi-language bit then.

Of course, other than UI and content, there's also currencies, measurements, timezones, etc. to take into account :)

Keitaro,

I shall look into this tonight ... YardOffice looks great!

Martijn,

Suggest just getting your on-line database out there first.  Multi-language and import/export should be logical upgrades, possibly available for a modest one-time registration fee or something.

Cheers

The_Ghan.

I use bento to do mine. I picked this software because it was both on Mac OS and iOS (iPad, iPhone) aven if I only have it on my Mac for the moment.

I also use it as a database for my client list and invoice database.

I only have 6 trains, so it's just for fun, but it's a nice way to save informations about your train, especially the things you easily forget: how much was it and where did I buy it.

post-318-13569927991415_thumb.png