Some Photos From the Evening of the Tohoku Earthquake

gmat

My computer was fried on the day of the earthquake and it took a while to get it fixed. Apple in Japan repaired any problems caused by the earthquake, in my case free of charge. They also paid for delivery service to and from the repair center. Twice in my case as the computer died again when it came back. I lost all of my train photos as it was in my Macintosh HD, which was wiped and had a new OS uploaded. I had used another HD to hold the OS. I'm awaiting delivery of a FileFalvage CD to see if I can recover the photos.

But here are some photos that I took when I walked from Uguisudani Station to Shinjuku, where I had parked my bike. I cycled home from there. I'm posting a number of the notices pasted up that night mostly JR or Metro saying service had been suspended. One was at Lumine Department Store at Shinjuku Station saying that they had closed at 16:00.

Uguisudani Station, East exit. Although the entrance was shuttered, a staff member had opened the small door at the far end and I was able to ask when the trains would run again. He said that he didn't know.

DSC_0481.jpg

DSC_0482.jpg

I've since learned that all of the trains went to the nearest station to deposit their passengers and then parked there.

DSC_0483.jpg

DSC_0484-1.jpg

Helping out at Kasuga Station.

DSC_0486.jpg

DSC_0487.jpg

This was pasted below the station sign on the steps going down.

DSC_0488.jpg

DSC_0489-1.jpg

Korakuen Station. Notice the yellow tape blocking access through the turnstiles. Some people chose to wait in the station.

DSC_0492-2.jpg

The line to buy bicycles was more twice this long.

DSC_0493-2.jpg

Near Iidabashi Station. The only time that I saw or heard emergency vehicles that night.

DSC_0498-3.jpg

Shinjuku Station. TV cameras.

DSC_0499-3.jpg

Police were very helpful.

DSC_0501-3.jpg

DSC_0503-1.jpg

DSC_0504-2.jpg

Blank board. For weeks after, the Shonan-Shinjuku Line and Narita Express portions remained blank.

DSC_0506-1.jpg

More later.

Best wishes,

Grant

Shinjuku Station again. Still at the old South Exit. The sign advises taking the bus.

DSC_0508-2.jpg

People waiting inside the station.

DSC_0509-1.jpg

Looking towards the Odaku entrance.

DSC_0510.jpg

Lumine Department Store and most other department stores closed early. In retrospect, perhaps letting people off all at once contributed to the crowded streets and traffic jams.

DSC_0511-1.jpg

Sign says store closed at 16:00.

DSC_0512-1.jpg

This line was waitng for a taxi. The line behind lead to the bus stops next to the Keio Dept. Store.

DSC_0524-1.jpg

The taxi line went from here....

DSC_0527-2.jpg

to here...

DSC_0529.jpg

to here...

DSC_0530-2.jpg

and ended at here.

DSC_0531-1.jpg

There were still a driver and another worker waiting in the train. They were at the other end of the train.

DSC_0537-2.jpg

The crossing at the other end was continuously flashing and ringing and when a car wanted to cross, the driver had to get out to lift the poles.

DSC_0538-1.jpg

That's all for now.

Home was just a couple of minutes away.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

Thanks CaptOblivious, wish I could have got better shots instead of rushing home and also posted them in a more timely manner.

Best wishes,

Grant