SHOCKING VIDEO: Teen Charged in Beating of Transgender McDonald's Customer

Man Gets Jail Time for Ejaculating into Co-worker's Water Bottle

Married Teachers Accused of Sexually Assaulting Student

6 Arrested After Teen Shot, Burned in Fire Pit

Man Accused of Sex Charges Marries Victim

Teen Girls Accused of Sexually Abusing Special Needs Boy

Dad Charged After Disabled Son Found Dead in Cardboard Box

More Popular Stories (!)

source: http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-boyle-heights-freeway-body-found,0,5127257.story

Now why did I post these?  Well, one of my pet peeves is on English language websites covering Japan (esp. Japan Today), is that whenever similar incidents to the one above (and they do occur- as Japan is no utopia), the usual comments of Japan is "degenerating", is "the worst and most perverted nation in the world, and the "sick man of Asia" pop up without fail.  But as the above reveals, these incidents occur all over the world (unfortunately), and in the U.S. they typically go only as far as the garden variety local news, while in Japan they would receive national coverage more likely than not.  Just goes to show that the content of comments reveals more about the commenter (inklings of a possible emotional problem or at least a personality/inferiority complex) than the topic or nation commented about.

the usual comments

Do you mean comments in the articles, or public comments on internet articles?

There's no doubt that some media outlets (like KTLA, apparently), are going for the least, sleaziest common denominator--either because they have data showing that that's where the money is (very disturbing), or because they have a cynical, negative view of their own audience, or both. (Ironically enough, when I clicked on your example link, there was another link under "POPULAR PICS" titled "Apocalyptic Scenes From Japan Shock The World." Sigh.)

But while I'd gladly complain to any news outlet that made such degrading generalizations, unfortunately such comments seem to be an unstoppable trend among *readers* of news sites--to the point that I often have to just swear off reading comments, since there are too many bitter, deluded, willfully-ignorant trolls to cope with. And of course one suspects that the news outlets let the nasty comments and flamewars go on because they draw more people in.

I think most of these people would benefit greatly from turning off the computer, going outside, taking a long walk, and occasionally talking to someone outside their own little niche.

I had a nice three paragraph reply on this topic written out. I have over twenty years i nprint media along with my colelge degrees as press photojournalist, so I have some pretty decent insight to this conversation, the state of the industry and the causes, but sadly I feel these forums are become way too political and we are losing way too much of our cohesion as a group lately over politics. The tone and feel of these forums IMHO are become much less friendly in the past.

It reminds me a bit of the stuff that was going on a couple of years ago at an English language off-shoot of Mainichi Daily News much to the horror of the Japanese powers that be.

Well, I don't think you need to worry too much about a topic on styles of press coverage going that way, as long as it stays on topic. And it'd be interesting to hear what you think.

i agree bikkuri but it's not only americans stereotyping.

Always annoys me when i see people comment like "only japanese" etc etc.

Like the topic a while back about factory tours by boat at night.

It's called "culture" and people fail to understand this.

Better to see headlines like that in japanese news then having headline like the ones the as noted in your post.

Mudkip Orange

sadly I feel these forums are become way too political

It's OK if you vote tea party man, why not just come out and say it?

After all, admitting you have a problem is the first step...

sadly I feel these forums are become way too political

It's OK if you vote tea party man, why not just come out and say it?

After all, admitting you have a problem is the first step...

lol but yeah this topic is not about politics it's about people understanding one's culture.

I do not see this thread as understanding other cultures.

And, Mudkip, not that it is relevant, I'm registered Independent, and vote Libertarian, but thanks for playing.

Hobby Dreamer
but thanks for playing.

Thanks for the laugh... great sense of humour!

Kato had some pretty good diotown releases last year..  Wonder what they plan for this year..  Good chance that some  of us will buy from RainbowTen..