World Kougei ED17 Electric Loco Z-scale kit

techrepjapan

techrepjapan

Isn't it possible to order from World Kougei directly?

Yes... you are correct. But, at full retail price.  :sad: Hobby Search and the Akihabara stores offer discounts.

Martijn Meerts

Good point.. You could always just ask HS if they can still get one, considering World Kougei is obviously not sold out yet.

Looking in the RM Models Special Shop Guide 2011, Models Imon carries Z scale at its Ikebukuro and Oimachi branches (but not at some of the other branches in Tokyo, i.e. Akihabara and Harajuku).  There's no mention of brands carried.

Tam Tam in Akihabara also lists Z scale, as does Popondetta.

Rheingold carries Z and HOn only.

http://www.rheingold-tokyo.jp/

This dealer has a wide range of scales including Z.  Its Tablet-Tokyo by its url.

http://www.tablet-tokyo.com/

bikkuri bahn

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that Akihabara shops are rather weak when it comes to stocking products in scales other than the one that lands between the letters M and O...

Martijn Meerts

Btw, have you ever built a World Kougei kit?

I've been trying to put together an N-scale kit, but the soldering isn't working out (my soldering station isn't meant for this kinda work, so I wasn't expecting much :))

I'm wondering now if I should get a different soldering station (resistance soldering, or possibly a tiny torch for the larger solder joints) specifically for these kits, or try to use some epoxy and glue them together. I have 3 of the kits now, with a 4th one on the way, and there's a good chance I'm getting more, so it would be nice to have a decent way of building them ;)

techrepjapan

Nope... this will be my first kit. Actually... I don't plan on building it myself.  ??? I have a friend that is a master craftsman... I'll let him build it for me. :cheesy

Martijn Meerts

Nope... this will be my first kit. Actually... I don't plan on building it myself.  ??? I have a friend that is a master craftsman... I'll let him build it for me. :cheesy

Good idea ;)

Any chance you could ask him what he uses? I don't want to ruin the kit I'm building any more than I've already done :) (Well, "ruin" is a bit much. There's just a bit too much solder on the thing in spots that you won't really see once it's done :))

techrepjapan

Any chance you could ask him what he uses?

Sure... I will try to find out for you. I'm guessing you have experiance in soldering? The only thing I know how to solder is my fingers... OUCH!  :sad:

Martijn Meerts

I have experience soldering really small things (DCC decoder installs mainly) and really big things (from back in the day I did car mechanics).. I don't have any experience soldering brass kits though, or, not yet anyway :)

I've actually been thinking of getting something like a Weller Pyropen. Not only can it be used as an open flame torch, but there's various soldering tips for it as well. Quite nice in those situations where it's too much of a bother dragging the soldering station around.