Tomix Prestige HO models

bikkuri bahn

Good question.  It seems the prestige lineup includes etched metal detail parts in place of plastic.  I suppose the "prestige" moniker alludes to the fact the buyer can show off his model in a display case or the like.  HO scale in Japan is more of a collectors gauge (at least in the 30,000 yen and above range) than an operators gauge, so I think this is Tomix's attempt to attract the (snooty) high end consumer, who might otherwise dismissively sniff at Tomix, considering it a toy maker (they sell trainsets in the toy section of Yodobashi, heavens!) rather than a "proper" model maker.

Claude_Dreyfus

It would also be interesting to see how these models cope with ordinary day-to-day running. Some of my fellow club members have kit-built models of a stunning standard...everything is correct; however they can be really poor runners, especially over 'commercial' track...

That said...I would not say no to a Prestige model should the opportunity ever arise... :cheesy

Claude_Dreyfus

I think the mechanicals are the same as the regular models, so they would have the same running characteristics.

Which no doubt means you pay a considerably more money for a lots of extra fragile bits that are liable to drop off if you do anything more than sit them in a show case...a fact alluded to earlier on in this thread...

harukablue

Same chassis etc, just all the details added and brass not plastic hand rails etc,,,,,just paying for labour for adding the bits really,

Same chassis etc, just all the details added and brass not plastic hand rails etc,,,,,just paying for labour for adding the bits really,

Hmm... I think brass hand grabs and rails would be a huge bonus over the plastic ones! Do they sell just the brass grabs/rails sets by themselves? Pre-painted would be a huge bonus!