Railfan News Reporter: Onion News Network

Guest ___

I've met people trackside who actually act like that. Especially at crew changes, it's not too uncommon to see railfans and foamers run up around Brunswick to the crew with a camera and ask them stupid questions like, "What was it like to run a D8 -40C?" or "Is running engine 212 any different than 227?" I just look at my feet and shake my head.

Barobutt

Sorry man, but thats a pretty insensitive comment that I don't think I can let go, you really should think before hitting post.  This forum has always felt really friendly and non-judgemental and I don' think that fits.  If the mods think I'm outa line they can tell me to butt out and I will but seriously man.. think about what you post.

Graham

I meant it in a light-hearted way, I my self often 'sperg out" about trains all the time, nothing to be ashamed of.  I have a few mildly autistic friends, one is obsessed with certain video games, the other anime.  When I saw this video it so reminded me of my friends (and my self sometimes to be honest ha).  I've asked them before "if it wasn't for anime or video games, what would you obsess about?" and both of them said "probably trains".  I didn't write anything from an intent of mean-spiritedness, just friendly ribbing of our own hobby.

I don't really want to like this one, but its so stupid it needs something like a like.  :lipssealed:

...or a "boy, that's stupid" button.

If it had just been about a geek, it *might* have been funny (maybe). Bringing the whole "autistic reporter" thing into just makes it cringeworthy and crude. Pretty surprising from the Onion--I thought they specialized in satire, not mockery.

• Like 1

Hi Barobutt

I meant it in a light-hearted way, I my self often 'sperg out" about trains all the time, nothing to be ashamed of.  I have a few mildly autistic friends, one is obsessed with certain video games, the other anime.  When I saw this video it so reminded me of my friends (and my self sometimes to be honest ha).  I've asked them before "if it wasn't for anime or video games, what would you obsess about?" and both of them said "probably trains".  I didn't write anything from an intent of mean-spiritedness, just friendly ribbing of our own hobby.

Thanks man, I didn't mean to get all PC on you, but I'm a tad sensitive to such things and I understand the spirit in which it was made, I know when I get started talking about our hobby I can make eyes glass over in less than 5 nanoseconds :)

There's a bit of a psychological movement to categorise we trainspotter types as all having Aspergers or other disorders and I hate to give ammunition to such classifiers of people (As my (ironically) Psych degree'd wife says, "I'm don't have a social disorder, I just don't like people" :) )

So. lets return to our normal obsessive discussions of all things train (esp Japanese) related... I'm having train withdrawal with all of my stuff in storage for the move !! (maybe thats why I was so sensitive.. can't gaze adoringly at my bullet trains)

Graham