Flag Signals

I'm sure someone here knows the answer to this question.  What is the meaning of the flag signals in the Kato figure set 24-269?  Where should such figures be placed?

post-396-13569927923118_thumb.jpg

bikkuri bahn

I suppose placement would be anywhere shunting in occurring.  As for usage/meaning, perhaps this video will be of help (at Kuroiso, Tohoku Main Line):

According to the Japanese Wikipedia page for Hand Flag, such signals can be used on station platforms, as another way for the station master to signal trains, and trackside, to protect maintenance workers.  The red flag would appear to be used on station entry and protection of workers, while the green is used as a "start" signal on departing a station.  However, I may be misreading that translation.  Also, there appears to be meaning in a coiled flag (as in the red flag being held upright) as differed from a spread flag, but it's not clear to me what that is.

Hobby Search calls this this "Train Dispatcher 1 (Shunt)" set, which seems to line up with the wikipedia description, but the automatic translation on their site for this set seems to be describing steam-era operations (I think "SL" stands for Steam Locomotive).  The lack of high-visibility vests would seem to imply this set is intended to model an earlier era (although signaling from the platform might not require those).

"- It was seen in the organization district with steam locomotive, and to reproduce the

appearances such as engineers and premises in the round, to pile up the organization district,

and to reproduce the organization district with vigor, I did the lineup.

** SL trainman and example of using doll series of premises (For instance, to such a situation)**

- When you arrange engineer's (Be confirming it) doll in the cab of SL ….

The appearance driven like seeing the signal of the flag of premises well while putting one's head out of the window can be reproduced.

- When you make the step in the point of SL stand from the doll of premises (flag signal)…. The appearance in which the signal is sent to the engineer with the flag when premises are driven can be reproduced.

- When you make sideward of SL stand from organization associate person's (oil) doll ….

The appearance in which oil is opened as each part of steam locomotive moves smoothly can be reproduced.

- When you make on the tender stand from organization associate person's (shovel) doll …. Coal can be piled up in the tender in preparation for driving, and the arranged appearance be reproduced.

- When you make sideward of SL stand from engineer's (hammer) doll ….

The appearance in which the screw whether loosen because of the sound when parts are beaten with the hammer is checked can be reproduced.

I think the description is a bit mixed up because those figures are listed on the same page as the two steam era figure sets (motor men and flag men) on Kato's site.

http://www.katomodels.com/n/doll_jnr_kikanshi/

You can see that the first 2 sets are "SL" and wear cloth hats, while the last set (the one in question) is not marked SL and has a modern helmet.

According to the Japanese Wikipedia page for Hand Flag, such signals can be used on station platforms, as another way for the station master to signal trains, and trackside, to protect maintenance workers.  The red flag would appear to be used on station entry and protection of workers, while the green is used as a "start" signal on departing a station.  However, I may be misreading that translation.  Also, there appears to be meaning in a coiled flag (as in the red flag being held upright) as differed from a spread flag, but it's not clear to me what that is.

Hobby Search calls this this "Train Dispatcher 1 (Shunt)" set, which seems to line up with the wikipedia description, but the automatic translation on their site for this set seems to be describing steam-era operations (I think "SL" stands for Steam Locomotive).   The lack of high-visibility vests would seem to imply this set is intended to model an earlier era (although signaling from the platform might not require those).

Generally staff do not wear high-visibility vests in Japan. Only colored stripes on blue (blue-collar??) uniforms. The red and green flags are used by crew on the ground or platforms during shunting or coupling along with point and call hand gestures.

Ministry of Railways in 木次線 Kisuki JR

Turnout on the campus of manual handling, so everything here will be guided carefully, making sure vehicles are guided yard clerk.

One by one to two decomposed to form four-car train KIHA 120, we will make cleaning and maintenance allocation for each line.

Ministry of Railways 木次線 Kisuki JR

While doing in-service coupling or  uncoupling cars in stations as trains are broke up or assembled for different destinations.

Keikyu Kawasaki Station

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVdxxMiRWw

Generally staff do not wear high-visibility vests in Japan. Only colored stripes on blue (blue-collar??) uniforms. The red and green flags are used by crew on the ground or platforms during shunting or coupling along with point and call hand gestures.

By "vest" I meant to include both actual vests and the yellow-strip harnesses, neither of which is present on the Kato figures.

However, I do see what look like full vests on some of the people in your videos, although they are much less common that the harnesses.

Also, while you may be right about the comment being from the wrong set, the background photo on the blister-pack seems to show a steam loco.