Models that uses Kato's EMU decoders (EM13, FL12) - the unlisted

David

I'm not sure if to merge this with the existing Kato DCC ready thread or make it seperate.

You see lately Kato has been releasing models that are DCC ready (drop in decoder with the EM13 and FL12), but not documenting it anywhere. I'm interested in collaborating on maintaining a list of existing and upcoming models that are drop in compatible (so this would be MU only - the locomotives that can be modified to use US Digitrax decoders don't count here).

Starting after the E127s Kato seemed to stop listing if a model was DCC ready. So far it seems that the E259 Narita Express and the E5 are both drop in compatible based on photos and feedback (TODO - add photos of these models with decoders in the slots).

I strongly suspected that the 209-500 Series for Musashino Line (10-861) which is due to come out in June is also drop in compatible, based on the fact that the two previous 209-500 models where. I think I can confirm this with a little trick I found - I went to Kato's release schedule and opened the accessory parts list for that month. Under the 209-500 it lists the motor chasis as 4536-6B. I looked that up and found it is the same motor chasis as the E217, a DCC drop in model.

Using the same method I've turned up something else that can be used as a sign (but maybe not proof) of drop in DCC - the lightboard. To be compatible with the FL12 a lightboard requires 4 pads in a specific position instead of just 2. Because the lightboard is inside it is far easier to share between many models.

I've found at least two three DCC lightboards:

4526G - originally for the 731 (DCC model), reused in models like the E531

4595-1G - originally for the 101 (DCC model), reused in models like the E231 and 223-2000

4683G  - originally for the 683 (DCC model), reused in the E259 and E5, and it seems to be used in a number of other DCC Shinkansen (looks like but can't confirm that it is used in the E2, based on some photos in a Japanese blog).

The 209-500 uses the 4526G lightboard (so both motor unit and lightboard are DCC parts), while using Google to try and find matches for the 4595-1G turned the upcoming Kiha 181 Hamakaze. However that model uses it's own motor chasis, so I can't tell for sure if it's DCC or not. Unfortunately Kato doesn't list accessory charts except for some upcoming models, so it's hard to put this into practice (for example I don't know what lightboard the E259 or E5 uses).

Edit: Found part number for E259 and E5 lightboard (same one!)

btw I sent a polite email to kato letting them know it would be appreciated by their customers if they would add dcc info to their pages in the future so their customers can make an informed decision on purchases

on both the english and japanese site.

you should all do it too.