My New Kato N Gauge Layout

KATO74

On the right side of the upper double crossover the 2 parallel curved tracks come very close together - by eyeballing it the track centers appear to be about 18mm apart at the closest point, which is too close for Kato ballast (25mm). You could fix it by reducing the 124mm straight piece to 62mm (and shortening the corrisponding 248mm to 186mm at the bottom of the curve), by rearranging the top curve geometry somehow, or as a last resort by cutting a space in the ballast. I would advise strongly against the last option. Even if it solves the physical spacing problem it still poses a collision risk due to the way the track is curved just before getting that close - the nose of a Shinkansen following the lower track would definitely be long enough to collide with another training traveling on the other track, and even express or other cars might overhang enough on the curved section to collide with a train on the other track.

Thanks for the info David, I will see if it all pans out when I start lying the tracks and will post pics as I go along

Cheers

Deano

ShinCanadaSen

Interesting layout plan, I especially like how you can have 3 separate loops or one long one or in-between.

Just curious if you designed this all by yourself or was it taken from or inspired from somewhere. I always love to see layout plans ;) so I'm alway looking for sources of layout plans.

Thanks,

Kai

Edit: added paragraph.