Decoders for 10-408, 10-847, 10-286, 10-491?

john_ibw

I got my 10-487 and 10-286 yesterday and was surprised to find that they do not come with factory fitted lights. Fortunately, I had earlier decided to replace the non-LED ones with LED lights, and so had ordered and received 2 packs of the 11-210.

Decoders, EM13, FR11s and the Digitrax DZ123s in also. I will try to post pics of the conversions.

Very few of Kato's trains come with lights. Most that don't are compatible with the LED light sets, although that should be disclosed on the appropriate entry on Kato's stock page.

Thanks KenS. When you say compatible, you mean the trucks have pickups and so lights can be fitted into the cars?

Because, I realized that circuit and fittings that come with 11209 lights had to be modified to be setup properly within the 10-408. It is not easy as take the lamp out and drop in the LED. Also, for the ones that don't come with factory fitted lights, a set like 11209 cannot be easily mounted. Some tinkering is required.

I can't replace the lamp by an LED either. Since I LED requires a board to be installed with it. Most likely to protect the LED unlike the lamp which may be a 12 v rated one.

Also, I got myself a Hannover Hiroshima tram last week and will have a light installed in that while I fit a decoder.

I have heard from many here who prefer to leave the trains as-is and only fit a decoder for the motor car plus the cab cars. It is a expensive proposition to light up a large roster. In my case, I like to see the cars lit up and since I am only four trains old, less costlier to get it lit up. That way, if I keep pace with my new trains and lighting them up as I go, I won't feel the pinch.

Busy with soldering decoders, fitting lights, and the real estate agent :)

Thanks KenS. When you say compatible, you mean the trucks have pickups and so lights can be fitted into the cars?

Right.  The "compatible" cars have pickups that power a pair of under-floor brass strips.  The lighting kit has "L"-shaped pickups that slide into slots and touch those, creating a couple of upright contacts for the lightboard.  There's also a bracket molded into the interior of the compatible cars to hold the lightboard, and supports plus clips on the roof to hold the long pastic diffuser that runs the length of the car.

You can potentially adapt the kit to work in another car, but you'd have to make your own support structure for the lightboard and diffuser, in addition to getting power up from the wheels.