Digitrax PR3, is it all you need to start?

rpierce000

I just need something to program decoders, test them on a small track, maybe run a loco in a loop. Would a PR3 and a copy of JMRI do it or do I need to spring for an entire system?

Martijn Meerts

As far as I know, you'll still need a command station. The PR3 is only a programmer/computer interface.

As far as I know, you'll still need a command station. The PR3 is only a programmer/computer interface.

Correct.

The bad news: you need a DCC command station.  Computers output serial information (in one form or another). The component that puts DCC on the rails (the booster, usually incorporated in a command station) needs something to take that serial information and make it into DCC commands (specific voltage levels on a wire, not "serial data" in the sense that a computer thinks of it) that the booster can then amplify. 

The good news: there's actually a small box that combines USB adapter with command station and a very small booster (suitable for several N-scale trains of modern design).  I've never used one, but it sounds like it would meet your requirements.  It's called a SPROG.

I use a Zephyr, Locobuffer USB (similar to the PR3, see this page for a comparision of the two) and JMRI. That gives me some additional options (transponding support for train to command station signaling; ability to control accessories via loconet, separate from the track; ability to add boosters for more track power; hand-held walk-around throttles). But for a small layout, if you don't want fancy automated control (the main use for transponding), then a computer + SPROG combination should be fine.

This, by the way, is my 1,000th post on the forum.  Woot!

• Like 1

The SPROG looks like it might be a great way for me to get started. Eventually I will go Digitrax, but, you know, that pesky budget thingy...