C58-16 damaged

foxhsu

Nick_Burman

Ouch! :sad:

Was this a plinthed or operating locomotive?

Cheers

bikkuri bahn

In Shizukawa Town, Miyagi Pref. at a place called Matsubara Park (or rather where it formerly was displayed, who knows how far it was carried), which was located next to the sea.  Here is a series of pics of when #16 was in running condition- at Aizu Wakamatsu in 1973, shunting coaching stock:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/br1020er/8256284.html

Nick_Burman

I wonder if Shinkansen depot and maintenance facility were damaged near Sendai. :-/

Only if the earthquake did it structural damage. Otherwise the latest pictures in Google Earth show it standing, with some trains in the yard.

The Sendai Rinkai Railway got a walloping...its main yard was washed out of existence. Surprisingly the tsunami left two of their locos standing up in the middle of the debris...on track!

Cheers NB

I wonder if Shinkansen depot and maintenance facility were damaged near Sendai. :-/

Only if the earthquake did it structural damage. Otherwise the latest pictures in Google Earth show it standing, with some trains in the yard.

The Sendai Rinkai Railway got a walloping...its main yard was washed out of existence. Surprisingly the tsunami left two of their locos standing up in the middle of the debris...on track!

Cheers NB

How often is Google Earth updated? I was using it the other day and it still showed the construction of the plant expansion of bp solar in 2007. Not only had the construction stopped, but the expansion has been torn down.

Good thing it wasn't an operational unit at least... Still it looks quite well if you compare it to its surroundings.

On another note; does anyone know how the private and 3rd sector railways have stood up against the tsunami? For instance, the Kashima Rinkai RR, Hitchinaka Rinkai RR,  Sanriku RR, etc. I don't think they have come off that well...

Nick_Burman

Sanriku got a real walloping. Most of the southern line is out of service and needs extensive repairs. The northern line has its middle section OOS and the extremities are operating, ferrying people and supplies. In another forum at least one participant doubts that the line will be restored in its entirety.

Cheers NB

Nick_Burman

Cheers NB

How often is Google Earth updated? I was using it the other day and it still showed the construction of the plant expansion of bp solar in 2007. Not only had the construction stopped, but the expansion has been torn down.

Aaron, that depends on various criteria, especially on how often a particular "scene" is accessed. The more hits it gets, the more often Google will update it. In the case of Japan updating was immediate (24h) after the quake and tsunami.

Cheers NB