Solder masking with Kapton tape for trains?

One attribute of Kapton tape is its high heat tolerance. I know it's already used in both industry and hobby applications to 'mask' areas when soldering on circuit boards, but I'm wondering if it can be any help with plastic - is Kapton tape a good enough insulator to be used to protect plastic components near an area to be soldered against accidental brushs? It doesn't need to be full on intentional contact like with some circuit board masking techniques, just enough to prevent a shake of the hands from leaving melted indents.

And what is the interaction between Kapton tape and solder in it's liquid state? Does it bond with the tape or is it like the no-solder areas of a board?

CaptOblivious

One attribute of Kapton tape is its high heat tolerance. I know it's already used in both industry and hobby applications to 'mask' areas when soldering on circuit boards, but I'm wondering if it can be any help with plastic - is Kapton tape a good enough insulator to be used to protect plastic components near an area to be soldered against accidental brushs? It doesn't need to be full on intentional contact like with some circuit board masking techniques, just enough to prevent a shake of the hands from leaving melted indents.

And what is the interaction between Kapton tape and solder in it's liquid state? Does it bond with the tape or is it like the no-solder areas of a board?

Molten solder just rolls off, just like PCB solder mask. I wouldn't count on it being a good thermal insulator, however, if only because it's so thin…you'd do better, I think, finding a way to attach a heatsink (a small alligator clip, for example, does wonders to conduct heat away from plastic in my experience)