How to test new japanese loco?

Barobutt

I currently have a broken and potentially dangerous power pack, I don't want to risk my new Tomix Centram on it.  BUT I'd really like to test my tram-track before I secure it and add scenery.  I remember reading somewhere you can use a common household battery of some sort to test track.  What type of battery is safest? 9v? AA? AAA? And any special method of attaching to the track other than just a wire to each track from each end?

A 9V voltage battery is an excellent way to test N scale trains, just be ready for many models to take off as 9V is 75% throttle. Turn the battery upside down and rest the contacts on the track, it's free standing until the train comes around and knocks it over.

• Like 1

Wow it DOES go fast.  The AA battery did nothing, but the 9v really sets my train off.

The problem is, I'm using 103mm tomix finetrack curves and I'm trying to test if my trackwork is good enough.  I had to saw and cut the track to fit, and Im not the best track layer.

I'm getting periodic derailments, but I can't tell if it's due to my track work, or the fact that the tram is going so fast. I'll just have to wait for my kato power pack I just ordered on ebay!  Found one for about $68 including shipping!!