Gravel Areas -What colour?

Looking at the idea of gravel areas.

Which is going to best

a greyish colour or a sandy brown. - cheap cheats sheets of 600grit sand or wet and dry paper.

What kind of gravel areas are you planning? A rural road, a driveway?

For my gravel roads I started using artistic structure paste, as it already has a grainy consistency, for a basis. Create simple track marks/relief with a paintbrush (or maybe an axle and wheels of a model car) On top of that a layer of brown paint. I simply use artist acrylic paint for this.

It also depends on the type of earth and if the surface is wet or dry what colour your gravel is. It's best to start out with a light tone of paint and then work your way up to more darker tones until the right tone has been reached. Also, be sure to have very subtle differences in colour to simulate depth in the gravel area.

Japanese gardens I've seen in photos tend to be a lighter color gray than any sandpaper I can recall seeing.

The color of gravel varies widely, depending on the stone it was made from.  Usually it's a light gray to a sandy beige, but darker stone may be used in some places. Brown tends to look more like dirt to me than crushed stone. Of course "gravel" may be a mix of dirt and crushed stone in some places, so that isn't necessarily wrong.

I'd suggest looking for photographs of the specific thing you want to replicate, and using those as a rough guide.