Retired 100 Series Shinkansen

bill937ca

Still as impressive looking as when I first saw one in 1990. Bet they don't let them take up space in the yard for long. :sad:

lol i imagine 10 years from now thirlmere in sydney running one of these in a 3 car formation NOT.

If only though Australia should probably buy them better then our curent stock here in nsw

Still my favorite shinkansen from an exterior visual standpoint (see my avatar!).  They still look like "bullet trains" but modern.  And I wish I could have tried one of the restaurant cars before they retired them - there was still one running on the train I rode in my avatar.  I think it was the last year or two for them at the time.  I wasn't traveling far enough to try it.

Never was a big fan of the interiors, mostly because of the lack of legroom compared to some other shinkansen models, but the big windows were nice.

Martijn Meerts

25 years old and still looks more modern than anything running in the Netherlands ;)

The design is nice but those trains looked quite tired and strained in real. A general feeling of out of date, like the old Series 485. It was time for them to be retired.

@Martijn: I think you forget the Thalys. ;)

Martijn Meerts

I never thought the Thalys looked all that modern to be honest (although I'm slightly biased.. traveled from Rotterdam to Paris once on the Thalys, terribly leg space, and even worse luggage space.. Had to keep my bag on my lap the entire trip...), but I guess it does look more modern than the 100 series. There are also several ICE3's running in the Netherlands, but again, I never thought they looked very modern.

I find the fresh green 100's look especially good.

alpineaustralia
If only though Australia should probably buy them better then our curent stock here in nsw

Here! Here!

Here! Here!

They font need to run them at shinkansen speeds but they'd be better

Better than what? The perfecly serviceable trains we have now, that have been repeatedly trashed by our feral passengers, or whatever we get in the future, that will also be trashed by the next generation of ferals?

Cheers,

Mark.

alpineaustralia

Yes agreed. But you have to dream that one day the little sods that graffitti the trains will suddenly stop and we can have a Japanese style train system.

• Like 1

Mark here in syd I catch the train sometimes at 5am to get to work early. Where I am we always get the oldest crappest silver bombs that have no aircon. Drip water from the windows in winter on your head and have seats that don't reach halfway up my back.

No I'm not tall either 1hr 35 mims on this train is really painful.

I don't mind standing but in summer when you have to stand for 70% of the trip with no aircon in an over crowded train it really really sux.

Yes agreed. But you have to dream that one day the little sods that graffitti the trains will suddenly stop and we can have a Japanese style train system.

That's something I dream of too - but in my experience the worst of the graffitti isn't done by kids, it's more often than not so-called "adults". And not just local ferals, either. The other day the transits arrested a group of 4 vandals who attempted to paint my train during a layover. 3 of them were from Denmark, of all places. They had a hire car to carry their gear, maps, GPS units, cameras and masks.

I also dream of the day that the rest of the passengers stop treating the trains like combination rubbish bins/urinals.

Cheers,

Mark.

bikkuri bahn
3 of them were from Denmark, of all places. They had a hire car to carry their gear, maps, GPS units, cameras and masks.

Hearing that just makes my blood boil.  Makes you wish they'd keep their "hobby" activities inside their own country.

• Like 1
Mark here in syd I catch the train sometimes at 5am to get to work early. Where I am we always get the oldest crappest silver bombs that have no aircon. Drip water from the windows in winter on your head and have seats that don't reach halfway up my back. No I'm not tall either 1hr 35 mims on this train is really painful. I don't mind standing but in summer when you have to stand for 70% of the trip with no aircon in an over crowded train it really really sux

Only 95 minutes? At my depot we have one diagram where we're on the same train for 5 hours.  :cheesy

Joking aside, I prefer S-sets - the stainless steel cars - to Tangaras anytime. It's very rare for them to fail or to have major defects. They'll almost always get you home. As for air-conditioning, perhaps we should agree to disagree on that subject.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hearing that just makes my blood boil.  Makes you wish they'd keep their "hobby" activities inside their own country.

BB, I was gobsmacked when the transits told me where they were from. But I had the last laugh. After the dickheads were arrested, we ran empty straight back to the shed, and put the train through the wash before the paint was even dry. All their effort and expense came to nothing.  :laugh:

Cheers,

Mark.

Only 95 minutes? At my depot we have one diagram where we're on the same train for 5 hours.  :cheesy

Cheers,

Mark.

I spent a few hours trying to sleep in an old EMU Tuesday night. Because Mayne yard doesn't have enough space two crews sign on at 2200 every night and each take a 12 car train to Roma St and spend the night parked in platforms 2 and 3, if you're lucky you grab a bit of sleep before you head back to Mayne about 0430 when some tracks there become vacant. They have a security guard on duty because even there the trains would get painted.

3 of them were from Denmark, of all places. They had a hire car to carry their gear, maps, GPS units, cameras and masks.

What the blank--luxury international vandal-tourism?!? You'd think that people with that much money, time, and privilege could find something to do other than pretending to be gritty urban rebels.

What the blank--luxury international vandal-tourism?!? You'd think that people with that much money, time, and privilege could find something to do other than pretending to be gritty urban rebels.

A couple of years ago there were some Australians detained at Narita with photos of graffiti and aerosol nozzles and other tools of the trade in their luggage, seems they were on their way to graffiti Japanese trains. As Mark says these people aren't kids, nor are they 'artists'.

Nozomi4ever

Damn ! I just saw this train last year in Shin-Osaka and Hiroshima.. Now it 's retired? Time for the Shinkansen trains to meet their fate and retire one by one!  :sad: