Pictures of trains and earthquake/tsunami damage.

SubwayHypes

SubwayHypes

Hey guys, first time posting here since the big disaster.  My mother and grandpa are in Tokyo right now, my mom said when the earthquake hit she was in downtown Ginza and still felt the quake.  The drug store she was in started shaking and signs and product were falling everywhere.  She said she was certain she was gonna die in a collapsing building but luckily Tokyo was very safe.  She said tokyo was pretty hectic and all the trains stopped running.  She had to walk home from Ginza to Shinjuku and that the streets were all full with people walking home since the trains were not working and cabs stuck in traffic.

But on to the thread, i wanted to post some crazy pictures of japanese trains in the aftermath of this tragic disaster.    Sorry if these have already been posted.  They sent me an email with a link to this PPS which also has some train pictures.  its very surreal seeing a E231 train destroyed and thrown about like a toy N scale train....if these pictures already posted i guess the mods can merge with the earthquake thread?

bp20.jpg

Train-carriages-lie-overt-007.jpg

Japan-earthquake-train.jpg

train%2B_______%2Bjapan%2Bearthquake%2B16.jpg

2751e_von.nhk.train.derail.aerials.nhk.640x360.jpg

A-derailed-train-lies-near-a-home-in-Matsushima-...jpeg

train_1853472i.jpg

uoPE71C.jpg

1855360849.jpg

577177-train-graveyard-onagawa-japan.jpg

5517711391_5617c5baff.jpg

• Like 1
SubwayHypes

i just realized thats not a e231....im not too familiar with trains in northern japan..more info on trains in this region appreciated.

also, my mother says the situation in tokyo has improved vastly most food is back on shelves, but that up north its still a huge mess.  there are lots of people in tokyo and south japan as well as chinese going up north to help...my mom wants to go but she has a 89 year old father on her hands...if he was alone during the earthquake he might have been in bad situation, because hes in no shape to deal with the food hoarding that occured in the first few days.  my mom said that some of her japanese friends were "mad at the media" because they incited food hoarding and fear mongering.  and that the news in the US is portraying the situation worse than it really is.  just some weird notes i got from out convos since the disaster.

SubwayHypes

Japan is extremely resilient and experianced at rebuilding itself.  The entire country was pretty much flattened after world war II by fire bomb raids (which my grandma almost died in).....and it built itself up and normal life was re-established within years, from reading books and talking about it to grandparents around 1949-1951 life got back to normal...

also REST IN PEACE WALLY YONAMINE...close family friend.  he died recently as well...one of the first japanese american baseball heroes. go giants.  

wallycoversmall.gif

i recomend that book it gives an interesting look at life in post war japan.....kinda off topic but just wanted to bring it up im sure theres someone here aware of some japanese history.

SubwayHypes

also did you guys read the story about the japanese high school baseball speech?

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=13244685

High School Baseball Unifies Japan After Disasters

dude....ive watched alot of JHB and its awesome.  way more entertaining...on your feet action compared to US baseball.  and im a SF giants fan so we got spoiled this year.

i just realized thats not a e231....im not too familiar with trains in northern japan..more info on trains in this region appreciated.

also, my mother says the situation in tokyo has improved vastly most food is back on shelves, but that up north its still a huge mess.  there are lots of people in tokyo and south japan as well as chinese going up north to help...my mom wants to go but she has a 89 year old father on her hands...if he was alone during the earthquake he might have been in bad situation, because hes in no shape to deal with the food hoarding that occured in the first few days.  my mom said that some of her japanese friends were "mad at the media" because they incited food hoarding and fear mongering.  and that the news in the US is portraying the situation worse than it really is.  just some weird notes i got from out convos since the disaster.

I wish I didn't have work and family keeping me from going up there to help. In the meantime, we've sent some boxes of food up and I'm hoping to go ride some trains up there when I have a few days off.

SubwayHypes

one of the things im wondering about is how susceptible southern japan is to tsunami?  in the northern incident it looked like they had many cities right on the waterfront, that is dangerous.

i know tokyo harbor and yokohama harbor would be pretty devastated if a tsunami hit...they have many rivers for off flow but its still pretty scary.