Mizushima Rinkai kiha 20

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Yesterday caught the recently inaugurated N700 Mizuho service from Shin-Osaka (btw reserved standard class 2+2 seating is very nice, green car level comfort) to Okayama, then caught a 113 series local in shonan colors to Kurashiki.  My goal- to ride the Mizushima Rinkai Rlwy's kiha 20 railcars, which only run in the morning and evening hours weekdays.  I caught the last morning departure using this type, and was extra lucky in that it was the trainset in the original JNR colors, rather than the more ho-hum white and blue.  These units are noteworthy in that they are some of the last remaining operational units of their type in the nation.  These were acquired from JR Shikoku in 1988/89, and were active in JNR days on that island.  The trainset I rode was very well maintained, and was a pleasant, if very leisurely ride- the driving style was basically acceleration on start and coast the rest of the way to the next stop, with little or no throttle in between.  As always, was great to hear the knocking idling of the dmh17 engines.

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

little empty for my liking :( i hope thats not it's normal amount of passengers couldn't last too much longer

That video was of a charter train.  The one I rode was pretty empty too, however.  I suspect the dep. time of 9:29 from Kurashiki was a factor, and mainly served as a ferry run to the shed, which lay beyond the last stop of Mitsubishi Car Factory Sta.  The return trip (on a modern model) was much more full, with the usual old folks and teenagers going to town.

In the video, what was the box that the conductor (?) put the key into, and what is the metal piece that comes out of the top?

In the video, what was the box that the conductor (?) put the key into, and what is the metal piece that comes out of the top?

Door controls, push the button in the bottom to open, push it back in the top to close.

If you go to takamatsu and catch their kiha's you will see this a bunch as the conductor is the driver. Who collects the tickets by hanging out the window. They always hold the key like that while the train slows to a stop to open the door. I like the old style train conductor method love wathing them do their stuff.

what funny is the stations are always 4 cars in length but it's only 2 cars on some lines and it's kinda like lining up for a bus. They will only let you enter from the front door while he stamps the ticket from the window. some of the larger stations the driver does not do this ones that have auto gates and staff but alot of the stations have no staff so he will do this.