Chikan 101

Guest ___

I got a kick out of this, because on my first trip to Japan, I, a 30 year year old man was accosted by two chikans at Nijo Castle, and was total dumbfounded by this to this day, it creeps me out. Anycase, I got a kick out of the part the guy states that in America, if we caught this sort of thing going on, we'd just beat the crap out of the assailant. This is particularly true as in my younger college days back when I could still stand in ice skates, and actually play hockey had whaled twice on two different occasions on Metro a drunk messing with women.  Still, got to wonder as a railfan who would likely be at the front or rear of a platform who would likely grab the first or last car have a better chance of witnessing a chikan first hand.

Lol funny

This brings up memories in Tokyo a 50 yr old man was doing this to some young girl on the train front car if memory serves right.

Anyway I gave him a stern frown like I was going to thump him and he stopped an got off next stop. I'd be afraid if I did thump them I'd probably get arrested for it.

Lol funny

This brings up memories in Tokyo a 50 yr old man was doing this to some young girl on the train front car if memory serves right.

Anyway I gave him a stern frown like I was going to thump him and he stopped an got off next stop. I'd be afraid if I did thump them I'd probably get arrested for it.

That's part of the problem, is that a lot of the Japanese go in to ostrich mode out of fear of getting involved, dealing with the police, feeling of making more trouble for both parties involved. I think it's the "Coastie" in me that won't stand for it.

It seemed like they were implying that not only were the other passengers not doing anything, but five men were standing by and watching--perhaps taking advantage of the gropers' activity for their own enjoyment? Very disturbing.

I can see why the all-female cars are necessary. It'd also be nice if an abused woman could speak up or react and have someone help. Or, with the proper training, defend herself despite the unhelpful passengers.

Thing is if I were to hit him most likely the girl would take off leaving me with assult charges and no witnesses.

Watch the movie "even so I didn't do it".

Points out how stupid the law is in regards to this.

I've heard horror stories about the japanese legal system and police.  If you're a foreigner you are guilty until absolutely proven innocent, and even then you're probably guilty for something for even getting mixed up in trouble.  Even if you did something good like protect someone or break up a fight and tons of witnesses supported you, the cops and legal system will be upset at you for "making waves".

There's a whole range of options between doing nothing and punching somebody, though--blocking with your body, yelling a lot and pointing (who cares if you look like a stupid gaijin?), "stumbling" into the scene and falling on somebody involved, going up to the jerk closest to the woman and asking loud, stupid questions, etc., etc. As long as it works, it doesn't really matter how you do it.

Of course, being able to speak the language makes a big difference. I was on the bus the other day and a drunk guy was bothering the young woman next to me. I was able to get him to back off by just quietly telling him to give it up, and then ignoring his attempts to argue (and his friends' obnoxious comments).

Not the same, but when I used to be a JET AET at Iwamurada HS in Saku City in Nagano Prefecture, I used to commute on the Koumi line from Iwamurada to Komoro Stations and on to Ueda Station, where I lived. Once, I was returning home with another JET and a male student when a female student started speaking in a loud voice. You could hear panic rather than anger in her voice. It turned out that a man was arguing with her. I don't know what started it, but he had apparently been drinking and something she might have done had set him off. This continued until I couldn't bear it so I got up and went to them. I'm not brave and don't like to fight nor cause a confrontation so my options were limited. When I got there the man looked at me and started saying something strong in Japanese. I guess that it was the equivelent of "What are you looking at?" I answered  "I'm sorry, but I don't understand Japanese." After that no matter what he said, that's what I would answer in my most non-threatening tone. At this point my student got up and all I could think of was that if my student started defending someone, then it might devolve into something physical. I got my student to go back but I don't think that he knew what I was doing. I focused on the old man. He gave up after a while and settled down and I returned to my seat. But then he started again to speak to the girl in a loud voice so I go up again and this time I remember moving to stand between the girl and the man. (I also seem to remember that they were initially sitting in a four seat section, so she must have gotten up, or my memory isn't as good as I'd like it to be) When I did this, the old man quieted down and that was the end of it.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

It's funny--I had only watched the second video before, and just now saw the first one. The American guy in that clip is behaving like a complete pig--joking about women who "want to" get groped, saying his co-presenter isn't pretty enough to get groped, etc. He's attempting to be funny, but he's just coming off as creepy and insensitive. It's like he's trying to be righteous about the topic, but is really titillated. Maybe they should have let female presenters cover this one. Or a guy with a brain located above the waist.