Absolute minimum clearance for tomix/kato portram

Barobutt

I've got a tomix centram coming in the mail but I'm trying to lay some track and plan some things before it comes.  My question is, what is the absolute minimum side to side clearance for these trams?  Basically I'm trying to put my track as close together as possible down the middle of a road, so I'm wondering what the closest spacing I could get away with would be.  The track won't curve at all while it's running parallel so there's no worry about turn overhangs.

Measuring a box-car it comes out about 19mm, meaning I could place my track, in theory, only 2cm centre to centre and get away with it barely.  I'm planning on maybe spacing my track 22mm centre to centre.

Anyone have a centram handy that they could measure it's width?

Also this entire issue is academic as I'll only ever be running 1 tram so there's actually nothing for it to bump into, but I want to be realistic!

Barobutt what track are you using?

Tomix fine track  with Tomytec Trams - you need a gap between the trackbed of 4mm,  trams will just pass.

Kato Track with Tomytec Trams -The track bed can be touching.

I'm using atlas snap track.  I just need to know the width of the tram or the centre to centre spacing.  Tomix fine-track is 18mm wide though, so adding 1mm to both sides would put it at 2cm centre to centre, so in a way you've given me my answer.  I'll do 22mm centre to centre then.  Since all my n scale rolling stock is about 2cm wide I figured that would be safe, but I was wary since I've never had a japanese product before and was worried that due to it being 1:150 rather than 1:160 it might be a tiny bit over.

So unless anyone has conflicting info, I'm going to plan my layout with the tram being 2cm wide.  Sounds safe?

Wow that's quite thin.  I'm planning my streets on my layout at a nice round 2cm wide, looks about right for my cars.  I'll space my tram track in 2cm "lanes" as well for consistency.  Thanks for the info !

So overall for my main street I'll have a 4cm tram right-of-way in the middle,  2cm of lane on each side, and 1.5cm for parking.  So 11cm total width.  Does that seem realistic?

Thanks for the update on width.  I should really just wait for my items to arrive before planning things...

PS

how long do you guys usually wait for your items from plaza-japan to arrive?

PPS

Thanks to everyone at this site for the prompt and accurate answers to my constant questions.  every thread I've posted and every question I've asked has been answered.  I'm really happy this site was recommended to me!

Wow that's quite thin.  I'm planning my streets on my layout at a nice round 2cm wide, looks about right for my cars.  I'll space my tram track in 2cm "lanes" as well for consistency.  Thanks for the info !

So overall for my main street I'll have a 4cm tram right-of-way in the middle,  2cm of lane on each side, and 1.5cm for parking.  So 11cm total width.  Does that seem realistic?

You don't even need that wide.  There are places where trams run on reserved lanes and there is no parking lane.

Hiroshima

Hankai Tramway

Toyama Centram

More stuff on my Japanese tram blog.

Thanks for the videos!  That centram one, if it was silver, would be exactly what I'm modelling!

You're right I don't NEED parking space, but this is my "main street" so I wanted to have space for parking, at least on one side.  The tram also shares the lane on some other streets.  I hope I can figure out where to fit a tram station...

PPS

Thanks to everyone at this site for the prompt and accurate answers to my constant questions.  every thread I've posted and every question I've asked has been answered.  I'm really happy this site was recommended to me!

barobutt,

if you had it shipped sal (the usual "economy" shipping price he has on most things). sal ships air when there is room on the plane. usually average to the US is about 2 weeks. can be up to 3-4 weeks at times or for larger sal packages. smaller packages at times come faster, ive had a few little ones come in like 6 days. on the us side its seems to be handled pretty much like priority mail package.

the more expensive ems shipping takes 2-6 days usually. most of the time its around 3 or so days. on the us side it comes express mail so delivered 365 days per year!

cheers

jeff

And SAL goes by surface once it gets over here.  If it lands close to you good, but if lands half a country away it may take awhile.

I ordered a bunch of stuff at the same time so I'm making some bets on which come first.  Have some stuff from HK, Japan, and the midwest of the US all coming to my island.  I'm excited!