Instalation of decoder in Kato pocket tram.

keiman

My First n gauge dcc conversion done.

Decoder - Digitrak DZ123

Tram - Kato Pocketline 14-501-1

Easy to get to motor- just unclip the body.

The clips are on the glazing so once the motor unit is out the glazing all fell out. small drop of polysteyrene glue fixed them in the shell.

They are handed so make sure you put them in the right sides.

To access the terminals  there was no cutting - just remove the small white clip on the capacitor,.

You can then gently spring the motor tags from under the strip that goes to both sets of wheels.

Bend the motor tags clear and refit the plastic tag over the wheel strips- do not refit the capacitor.

Cut the wires on the decoder to about 25mm(1") and select red, black, orange and grey. The other 3 are not used because there are no lights in the trams.

Black wire soldered to the brass strip on the LHS Red to the RHS. looking down on the unit  The little catcher shows the front.

Orange wire soldered to motor terminal RHS, Grey to LHS

Fold the decoder back on the wires and use a bit of double sided tape to hold in place where you feel happiest with it. Mine is just loose as still had the insulated cover on the decoder.

I used a blob of hot melt glue to insulate the motor connectors from shorting back to the wheel strips .

Test run on your DCC test track and program to your preference.

Once done just clip the body back on .

Total time 30mins max.