Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

I chanced upon this set while browsing Yahoo Auctions:

http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c554561748

Was there ever such a set being released? It looks pretty official...

Nope. It's a Kato model in a Tomix box and a book case sleeve of questionable graphic design. This train in question also doesn't/didn't exist with this wrapping. The decal applying skills however look pretty good!

• Like 1

Nope. It's a Kato model in a Tomix box and a book case sleeve of questionable graphic design. This train in question also doesn't/didn't exist with this wrapping. The decal applying skills however look pretty good!

That's wonderful observation Toni san! Didn't see that trade mark Tomix case there... ~

Yap I was wondering... There doesn't seem to be a Girls and Panzer train except for the Kato released one...

The ad only shows the two cab cars from one side each, so i really wonder how the rest of the train looks like...

2016_11.jpg

Who's excited about another 313?  :P

The Eurostar looks interesting, and the re-release of the Hankyu 9300... Sorry for the 80 series, not a big fan of the older era JNR trains...

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1

Oh nooo.. the more I look the 9300 series, the more I got tempted.. haha.. from all Hankyu trains, I think the 9300 is the most beautiful one, the pantograph in the end car is totally a right thing..

Oh nooo.. the more I look the 9300 series, the more I got tempted.. haha.. from all Hankyu trains, I think the 9300 is the most beautiful one, the pantograph in the end car is totally a right thing..

I can agree with you, 9300 is really tempting

It really is!

post-819-0-37861500-1467367427_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-78088300-1467367428_thumb.jpg

Add in interior lights and it's even sweeter!

post-819-0-71852800-1467367413_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-53770300-1467367424_thumb.jpg

It even comes with pre-painted 'Ladies Only' carriage!

post-819-0-10489500-1467367430_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

These Hankyu releases are getting very tempting, not helped by JR500系 posting his nice pictures which is making the temptation stronger and my wallet very possibly lighter. I have never been hugely interested in the Kansai area trains with the exception of a couple of JNR examples such as the Kuroshio. There is just something about these Hankyu trains which appeals. The maroon colour and the body shape looks beautifully modelled by Kato.

There was a very small inclusion of similar models in an article about Terminus stations in the December 2014 of RM Models. A little off topic but the cover photo is of a diorama of the Nishitetsu Fukuoka terminus in the 1960s, now Nishitetsu Tenjin

post-2039-0-14605300-1467384073_thumb.jpgpost-2039-0-68999600-1467384083_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

2016_11.jpg

Who's excited about another 313? :P

The Eurostar looks interesting, and the re-release of the Hankyu 9300... Sorry for the 80 series, not a big fan of the older era JNR trains...

I would have prefered a 313-3000 Series but oh well it just means I have to sit back and wait a bit longer, mind you I will have a KiHa 25 to add to the roster soon.

Hankyu always so tempting with it's luscious looks but once again I will have to resist temptation.

Edited by Das Steinkopf

The problem with the Hankyus is you would need a fleet rather than just one. I may succumb when I visit Japan in October but I already have an ever growing shopping list including an HB-E300, Hokkaido E5 and C62. Just hoping the £ has a better exchange rate by then.

The mother-in-law is currently enjoying the low rate against the ¥ by doing some serious shopping and may single handedly recover our economy.

• Like 2

The new Eurostar still suffers from the extra buffet car problem.  If you purchase 1 basic set and 3 add-ons, your 20 car train will have one buffet car too many. 

Disappointing that Kato hasn't resolved this (or are they hoping people will buy 4 add-on sets to make a prototypical formation?)

Guest keio6000

Well, I called that the Eurostar would be released about now, though one hardly needed to have been psychic to make an educated guess about this.  I will say this - the new Eurostar is quite a good looking train and  I hope Kato's effort captures this.   I'm usually not a fan of the livery on many euro trains, but the Eurostar is quite nice.

Starting a Hankyu side collection... must.. resist...

Gordon Werner

N-Gauge Info has posted two more galleries, this time of forthcoming KATO HB-E300 and Evangelion Shinkansen models

Vol.1 - https://picasaweb.google.com/ngauge.information/6309249910251209969?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCO35-a_hio6OcA&feat=embedwebsite

HB-E300系「リゾートしらかみ」(青池編成)
HB-E300系「リゾートしらかみ」(青池編成) HB-E301-1
HB-E300系「リゾートしらかみ」(青池編成) HB-E300-101
HB-E300系「リゾートしらかみ」(青池編成) HB-E300-1
HB-E300系「リゾートしらかみ」(青池編成) HB-E302-1
HB-E300系「リゾートしらかみ」(青池編成) HB-E301-1 (ヘッドライト点灯)
HB-E300系「リゾートしらかみ」(青池編成) HB-E301-1 (テールライト点灯)

Vol.2 - https://picasaweb.google.com/ngauge.information/6309249910251209969?authkey=Gv1sRgCO35-a_hio6OcA&feat=embedwebsite

クモハ61+クハニ67 飯田線
クモハ54 0+クモハ50+クハユニ56 飯田線
14系15形寝台特急「あかつき」 スハネフ15
285系<サンライズエクスプレス>(ライト部新規)
781系
【鉄道模型コンテスト2016特製品】500系新幹線「500 TYPE EVA」タイプ 521-7002

• Like 1

I am glad I ordered that HB-300, and is also glad that MA is dropping this and Kato is picking this up. It looks just fantastic when everything is painted, from the logos to the car numbers to even the destination boards. Kato is doing a really nice model for that HB-300!!  :)

That 500 EVA looks good, but given that Tomix has announced its release, this seems to lose out a lot...

That 500 EVA looks good, but given that Tomix has announced its release, this seems to lose out a lot...

well to be honest, Kato end car is much better than the Tomix as it has more realistic headlights.. isn't it? :D

too bad they didn't make the variants from basic train consists as happened to most of their models, unlike Tomix.. N700series as a clear example. Tomix made the 8 cars as well and some more, Kato did not.. I think they will learn from this and wonder if they will also release more variants..

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately Kato is using old moulds from an earlier model and the cars are not prototypically correct.

Yes Mr. Ochanomizu,

I am fully aware of that.. I just commented about the cutting finish on the front end compared between Kato and Tomix. and personally I like the Kato one as it looks more realistic. But yeah, too bad they lost to Tomix who already be ahead making the 500-7000 model..