dc auto switch

keitaro

Anyone know if it's possible to have a sensor/sensors on dc trigger a switch point automatically i.e.

i have 2 trains running on a line and 1 train will go straight and the sensor will trigger the switch so the second train behind it will pass of the point down a different track.

example pic

post-484-13569927523897_thumb.jpg

All most anything is possible, the discerning factor is the amount of money and time one wants to invest.

First you need to determine the means in which you want to switch the point. Mechanical or electronically.

Mechanically would involve the end or last car tripping a switch that would provide a momentary loop closure on the points lead causing a track switch.

Electronically would do the same but it would be a sensors providing the momentary loop closer to the points leads.

The easiest way would be the mechanical where you use the copper hose on the coupler to complete a connection to the points lead. As the last cars coupler passover the leads the copper hose brushes over the lead and switched the point behind it.

If you're DCC then this is exactly the kind of thing you can do with Train Controller and other similar software.

Cheers

The_Ghan

nah i'm dc.

i see there are sensors for tomix i was wondering if it's easy to set them up to trip a switch when passed over