KIHA181 passing Shimamoto--more smoke please

miyakoji

CaptOblivious

Is this one of those new-fangled SMU (steam multiple unit) trains? That might explain the smoke ;)

• Like 1

40 years old or not that ain't right.

Google translates the description of the video as "@ 181 Kiha forwarded Shimamoto (2011-3-25) Kiha181 Deadhead @ Shimamoto

For scrupping for scrapping." Might explain the lack of engine maintenance if it's only on a one way trip.

bikkuri bahn
I really really hope JRW keeps a set of these.

They have been used for charter trips, especially for schoolchildren- I spotted a set last summer on the Nara Line.  But spare parts are very hard to find, especially for the rooftop radiator assemblies. Perhaps JR West will save some parts from the scapped units, hopefully.

I really really hope JRW keeps a set of these.

They have been used for charter trips, especially for schoolchildren- I spotted a set last summer on the Nara Line.  But spare parts are very hard to find, especially for the rooftop radiator assemblies. Perhaps JR West will save some parts from the scapped units, hopefully.

I think you mentioned this before, but I forgot.  It's too bad, but it does make sense.

It appears to have a smoking car.

:laughing4: It appears to have several.

Is this one of those new-fangled SMU (steam multiple unit) trains?

You mean a Sentinel?

800px-Sentinel-Cammell_Steam_Railcar_No_5208_g.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

40 years old or not that ain't right.

It might simply have been standing and idling for a while and oiled up. Our Xplorer railcars make at least as much smoke as this, and they're only 15 years old.

Cheers,

Mark.