JR Shikoku 2000 series - single end-car test run

miyakoji

Here's a view I don't see often from youtube contributor aomonoya:

I don't know how interesting JR Shikoku's operation is overall (not very, I suspect), but I spent some time on their lines so I'm a fan for sentimental reasons at least.  I'd love a good video of the Yosan Line to at least Matsuyama, if not all the way down to Uwajima, although I never saw that stretch myself.

I've seen this phenomena before. My cat use to swat trailing cars off the train running on the layout. And on occasion, shinkansens on the RM viaduct have experienced the same thing. My theiory is that a ginat cat, possible a wto hundred and fifty meter tall Doremon is responsible. 

The tail end reflectors you'd normally see attached to freight cars is a nice touch, as is the fact that the 'door' on the end doesn't have a window. I wonder if the prototype is designed that way (seems a bit odd not to provide an easy way to see if it's safe to open) or if the 'door' as it appears is just a rigid panel that's been put in place for this situation.

I've seen this phenomena before. My cat use to swat trailing cars off the train running on the layout. And on occasion, shinkansens on the RM viaduct have experienced the same thing. My theiory is that a ginat cat, possible a wto hundred and fifty meter tall Doremon is responsible.

Same thing happens to Enoden.

4193555753_7ed9afe135.jpg

or if the 'door' as it appears is just a rigid panel that's been put in place for this situation.

After looking at the HD video, I think that's right.

bikkuri bahn

Weird.. So how does that Shikoku train turn around...?

My thought too, unless they have a wye (rare in Japan) or an old turntable which is long enough (doubtful).  To think that they are contemplating running single car ltd. express stock (if indeed it's that intention), shows the level of rail passenger demand in Shikoku.

To think that they are contemplating running single car ltd. express stock (if indeed it's that intention), shows the level of rail passenger demand in Shikoku.

OUCH.  I think it's just the way it happened, maybe they were doing other work on the rest of the consist.  I rode the Shiokaze from time to time, it wasn't full but it was worth running the 7- or 8-car set that it was.  Local/rapid services on the Yosan between Matsuyama and Takamatsu were run with 2- to 4-car sets, again, not packed but a single KIHA120 (not operated by JR Shikoku, but it's a common, small diesel for one-car operation) would not have done the job, at least not comfortably.

Weird.. So how does that Shikoku train turn around...?

My thought too, unless they have a wye (rare in Japan) or an old turntable which is long enough (doubtful).  To think that they are contemplating running single car ltd. express stock (if indeed it's that intention), shows the level of rail passenger demand in Shikoku.

My take on the video was that it was a test run of a unit after it was shopped rather than a test of a single car in revenue service, most of the Ltd Expresses I've ridden on Shikoku seemed as well patronized as any other in Japan. I recall seeing a turntable in the railcar stabling area at Uwajima but can't be sure of the length, what would have been the longest steam loco used on Shikoku, a Pacific or C58? I don't think they had any D51's.

Seems like it's not that uncommon on Shikoku rails. On the Iyotetsu (in Matsuyama), running single-car EMU with only one front was daily business. Now the 700/800 series are being replaced by the new 3000 series.

That would explain this single car I shot parked at the end of the line at Takahama last September.

post-218-13569927519244_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569927519606_thumb.jpg

And there's a driver's station in there?

Only at one end. My current theory is that the car is left at Takahama and added to a peak hour train to lengthen the consist and dropped back there after the peak is over. If that's the case it would be a bit of extra operation to model at a branch line terminus.