Hankyu 2300 series

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Today I'm in Osaka, start of a five-day railfan holiday in Kansai and Tokai.  Anyway, went on a photo location recce today, took the Hankyu Kyoto Line out to the edge of Osaka Pref. (Yamazaki area).  Hankyu's 2300 series are still be used on this line, they were once the standard on the Arashiyama Branch. They seem to be used on the semi-express services often (junkyu).  The example I rode was built way back in 1963 (showa 38).  As usual for Hankyu, spotless and seemingly in the same condition as it was when it rolled out of the factory (Alna Koki).  One reason I love Kansai area railways is that the rolling stock philosophy of both JR West and the private railways is to keep old stock running as long as economically possible, rather than scrapping them outright and replacing them with albeit energy efficient, but rather characterless "aluminum cans" with acres of plastic in the interiors- that's you JR East...

• Like 5

I have to admit that, even though most of our models are of JR East trains, the colors schemes on their recent stuff are pretty off-putting.

Oh, and that the color on those Hankyu trains is great.

Much love for the Hankyu. Made it a point to hit them pretty hard in Osaka last year. Not just the livery, but something about that outfit is a real class act, not sure what it is though. They still running the 8000 series that has the earth on the front. (looks like a dragon to me)

124804635782716208262_hankyu_8000x8_20090719-001.JPG

• Like 1
The example I rode was built way back in 1963 (showa 38)...

Wow! That says a lot for the standard of their maintenance, and their driving.

Couldn't happen here. The miserable bastard passengers would be constantly complaining about the age of the trains...  :sad:

Cheers,

Mark.

Nick_Burman

Much love for the Hankyu. Made it a point to hit them pretty hard in Osaka last year. Not just the livery, but something about that outfit is a real class act, not sure what it is though. They still running the 8000 series that has the earth on the front. (looks like a dragon to me)

124804635782716208262_hankyu_8000x8_20090719-001.JPG

Hankyu is an elderly and very respectable sansei clad in a very somber but elegant kimono... :cool:

Their choice of colour has the advantages of being very elegant, agreeable to the eye and timeless, which makes for a hard-wearing if conservative look.

Cheers NB

• Like 1
Mudkip Orange

North Shore was like that back in the day. Impeccable maintenance on everything. Everything from Electroliners on down to 1920's riveted-side cars was being maintained at 100%, over 100% rails, right up until the night they abandoned it.

Of course then the Electroliners got sent to Liberty/SEPTA and we all know how SEPTA treats its physical plant...