Kintetsu backwater

Nick_Burman

Nick_Burman

Trains on the Yoro line in 1992. This (together with the Ueno-shi line) was a backwater of the Kintetsu system and the last stand for Kintetsu carload (or rather, trainload...) freight. The line was spun off from Kintetsu and is now the (third-sector?) Yoro Railway. AFAIK YR kept Kintetsu's red livery on its trains, contrary to the Iga Railway (who succeeded Kintetsu on the Ueno-shi line) who dolled up their train in ninja (Ueno castle is a museum of ninjitsu) manga drawings...

Cheers NB

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn
AFAIK YR kept Kintetsu's red livery on its trains, contrary to the Iga Railway (who succeeded Kintetsu on the Ueno-shi line) who dolled up their train in ninja (Ueno castle is a museum of ninjitsu) manga drawings...

Yes, IIRC, before Kintetsu spun off this line, the livery was the house standard red and white "racoon" scheme. Also, Yoro railway repainted a trainset in the old classic "rapid car" orange w/white stripe livery:

800px-%E9%A4%8A%E8%80%81%E9%89%84%E9%81%93606F_%E3%83%A9%E3%83%93%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E8%89%B2.jpg

source

It's kind of ironic that Yoro Railway is seemingly more conscious of Kintetsu heritage than Kintetsu itself.

*like Miyakoji, I heartily recommend a journey on this line.  A nice rural interurban, maybe close to what you may have experienced in the Midwest US pre-depression.

That's so close to me, I ought to go check it out as soon as the sakura are blooming. I know Yoro has a park and waterfall that sightseers often visit.

Nick_Burman
AFAIK YR kept Kintetsu's red livery on its trains, contrary to the Iga Railway (who succeeded Kintetsu on the Ueno-shi line) who dolled up their train in ninja (Ueno castle is a museum of ninjitsu) manga drawings...

Yes, IIRC, before Kintetsu spun off this line, the livery was the house standard red and white "racoon" scheme. Also, Yoro railway repainted a trainset in the old classic "rapid car" orange w/white stripe livery:

800px-%E9%A4%8A%E8%80%81%E9%89%84%E9%81%93606F_%E3%83%A9%E3%83%93%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E8%89%B2.jpg

source

It's kind of ironic that Yoro Railway is seemingly more conscious of Kintetsu heritage than Kintetsu itself.

*like Miyakoji, I heartily recommend a journey on this line.  A nice rural interurban, maybe close to what you may have experienced in the Midwest US pre-depression.

Thanks for the explanation. When I saw this picture in another video I thought what an uninspiring livery they chose...now that I know that this scheme is original Kintetstu it redeems a bit the lack of inspiration...

Like so many "third-sector" lines YR has its work cut out to earn a living. Repainting rolling stock into historical schemes is one of the tactics employed to try and attract visitors/passengers and get an extra buck into the coffers. It's much the same what the Oigawa Railway does....

Cheers NB