Planning a branch line

Morian Miner

Morian Miner

Having spent the last couple months going through possible ideas for a Japanese-themed layout, I keep coming back to the Onoda Line on the JR West.  Pretty much, there was just something cool about the 1 mile long branch line with the old Kumoha that used to run on it.  Reminds me of the trolleys we have running here in Tucson.

Now, I can see myself changing the layout theme about a thousand times before I start building.  But, if I do stay with this theme, here are some questions I have that I'm wondering if anyone can help with.

- Are there any models of the Kumoha that used to run on the line? I've seen this one - hoping there is a cheaper plastic one.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10029327

- Anyone know a good website that shows pictures of they Motoyama/Suzumeda city itself? I can find plenty of pictures of the trains, but not of the actual surrounding area. I'd like to see how smaller Japanese cities are laid out to get an idea of what type of buildings to use.  I have one set of Tomytec buildings I just completed and am looking at getting some larger buildings next. 

- Anyone know where there are pictures showing freight trains around the Yamaguchi refinery? I'm thinking of doing a small freight yard similar to the HO-scale 1x10 layout I just finished.

Now, if my Kato Kiha would just get here so I can see what kind of track it can handle. 

bikkuri bahn

I remember railfanning this branch back in Jan, 2003, just before the kumoha 42 was retired- waiting for the train to arrive at Suzumeda is a good memory.  This was before the railfan boom, so the cell phone camera crowd was non-existent- hard-core veterans only, and film still prevalent.

As for pics of the locality, Suzumeda is actually located in Sanyo-Onoda City.  Google image search is here.

Suzumeda Sta. satview:

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=33.9604161&lon=131.1867356&z=18&l=7&m=b&search=onoda

bikkuri bahn
Anyone know where there are pictures showing freight trains around the Yamaguchi refinery? I'm thinking of doing a small freight yard similar to the HO-scale 1x10 layout I just finished.

I'm not sure which refinery you're talking about.  The most famous freight train in this area is the calcium carbonate train that runs on the Mine (meenay) Line:

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~hd_hashi/index2/ube36.html

Dd51881-1.jpg

source

Now, if my Kato Kiha would just get here so I can see what kind of track it can handle. 

Yeah, which Kiha?

The Kiha 110, along with most of the modern toolings with those telescoping body mounted couplers can handle Kato's 216mm (8") curves, but not any of Tomix's mini-curves.

Some of the old Kato truck mounted rapido coupler stuff, specifically those whose trucks are mounted with screws instead of clips, seem to be able to handle the 177mm Tomix mini-curves.

A lot of the stuff in the middle (truck mounted scharfenberg couplers) seems to be iffy - they can sort of be dragged around 177mm curves, but a lot seem to be binding and would probably derail at operating speeds.

bikkuri bahn
I'm not sure which refinery you're talking about.

Seibu Oil (Showa Shell) as a refinery in Yamaguchi. http://www.seibuoil.co.jp/

Unfortunately that facility appears (on maps and satellite views) to have no rail connection, despite being close to the Onoda Line branch.

Nick_Burman
I'm not sure which refinery you're talking about.

Seibu Oil (Showa Shell) as a refinery in Yamaguchi. http://www.seibuoil.co.jp/

Unfortunately that facility appears (on maps and satellite views) to have no rail connection, despite being close to the Onoda Line branch.

But thanks to some modeller's license, it does have a connection... :grin

Cheers NB

Anyone know where there are pictures showing freight trains around the Yamaguchi refinery? I'm thinking of doing a small freight yard similar to the HO-scale 1x10 layout I just finished.

I'm not sure which refinery you're talking about.  The most famous freight train in this area is the calcium carbonate train that runs on the Mine (meenay) Line:

This train may no longer run. When we were in Japan last September the Mine line was closed throughout due to washouts with buses replacing rail services. Locals we spoke to told us the future of the line was in doubt as JR and the government debated whether to rebuild.

Morian Miner

Thanks for all the responses. 

That mine train definitely looks like it has some potential.  I'll definitely need to do some research on that.

Yes, the train I ordered is the Kiha 110.  Good to hear it can take the small curves.  Don't know if I'd go super tight with that - don't think it would look right.  I'll save that for a tram model I'm sure I'll need to pick up some time in the future.

Thanks for all the responses. 

That mine train definitely looks like it has some potential.  I'll definitely need to do some research on that.

Yes, the train I ordered is the Kiha 110.  Good to hear it can take the small curves.  Don't know if I'd go super tight with that - don't think it would look right.  I'll save that for a tram model I'm sure I'll need to pick up some time in the future.

The basic 2 car set w/motor can handle yes. But when you add the additional non motor 2 car set the rules change just a FYI